+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Age care work?

Hi Im interested to hear from any age care workers, its a job I think I would be interested in and then follow on to nursing. Id love to know what the job involves, hours etc. Also were you qualified before employment?

Many thanks for reading

Hi, I work in Aged Care in a low care facility, that is, all our residents are able to walk, feed themselves, etc. There are varying degrees of cognitive impairment but most of my residents are cognitively aware. Most of our residents require minimal to moderate assistance to shower, dress etc. High care and dementia units may have residents who are very dependant, bed bound etc.

I have been working in Aged Care for 2 years while studying Div 2 Nursing part time, I got the job without any qualifications based on the fact I was studying Nursing but I ended up doing my Cert III in Aged Care while I was working and studying other courses. As a PCA, depending on where you work your job may involve helping several residents to shower and dress, make their beds, you may assist with meal service and assist a resident to eat, taking residents to the toilet and managing continence and so on. Where I work the shifts are 7-12:30, 7-3, 3-10, 5-9 and so on but it varies a lot. I am a Team Leader and I administer medications, attend to wounds and so on. I would highly recommend a Cert III in Aged Care though as it is a minimum requirement for most places and placement can be a good chance to see how you feel about it. Aged Care is not for everyone!

I love Aged Care. It can be challenging as you are often understaffed and underpaid, it can be physically demanding and also stressful if you encounter challenging behaviours - but the residents make my job worthwhile. If you are really committed then go for it, and best of luck

Default Re: Age care work?

Hi. I work in aged care. I was doing tafe for aged care at the time of employment. Hours are generally 7-3 3-10 10-7 with various shorter shifts in between. Its a hard slog mentally and physically some days its extremely rewarding and other days you wonder why you even bother. I work with residents with Dementia mainly and I love it.

You need a thick skin because on the days your getting abused if your in the wrong mindset it can be very hurtful.

You also need to be able to emotionally detach yourself to a certain point as its very hard losing residents you love.

Hope that helps anything else you want to know just ask.

I love my job i've been doing it for 3 years only very casually now though with bub

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub