+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swaddling and car seats, with or without houdini straps.

Jut googled and tizzie hall STILL has this dangerous info on her page!

Is this worth it's own thread or has it already been done? It would be awful for someone to read this and get the idea swaddling in a carseat is okay

http://shop.saveoursleep.com.au/product/1836/40732/

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Given she says this
    Please note: It is not safe to wrap or swaddle a baby and then place them in a car seat with a five point harness without a safety chest clip. In some countries these clips are standard. In order to safely wrap or swaddle your baby for car travel please use the Houdini stop.
    on the website, it is not worth any new thread as the information is clear that it is not safe to swaddle an infant in a 5 point harness unless fitted with an H harness (such as the clip).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is the opposite of AP?

It actually isn't safe to swaddle with the strap either - on the Houdini stop page they say they have done no testing using a swaddled baby

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (18-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (18-11-2012),Witwicky  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

There are a lot of references to it being dangerous ie

http://blog.childrestraints.co.nz/category/safety

Thanks
    Reviews

In fact Pegasus I think the fact you've gotten the impression that the Houdini stop makes it safe makes it even more important that people know it isn't!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (18-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (18-11-2012),Witwicky  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    In fact Pegasus I think the fact you've gotten the impression that the Houdini stop makes it safe makes it even more important that people know it isn't!
    I agree 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What is the opposite of AP?

Exactly! So many times I've seen people say you should take what you want from TH/SOS leave what you don't agree with. But the reason I'm so against TH even if some of her book is possibly useful to some babies the advice she gives is dangerous.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (18-11-2012),Witwicky  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I didn't read the thread and know nothing about it, i think the point was rather just making sure people know it is not safe to swaddle in a carseat and use a Houdini stop, people are clearly still getting the impression from tizzie halls site that it is.... Her books reach a huge audience and I bet there are loads of parents buying that flimsy straps which is designed to stop kids taking their harness off (nothing to do with safety) and thinking that makes it okay to swaddle

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    FTR, I never swaddled and placed in a car seat, I used a sleeping bag with a hole for the seatbelt, or I took the baby out of their blankets and repositioned around them once in the child seat. It never occurred to me to swaddle and place in the car seat.

Having said that, I've read with interest how people have brought up about swaddling and placing in a car seat.

Honestly - if I'd known about the Houdini strap when my daughter was little, I would have got one. She fared much better once in an H harness as she used to escape her arms all of the time, and arc up.

There are a lot of references to it being dangerous ie

http://blog.childrestraints.co.nz/category/safety
    I will take a look myself, for other references to placing a swaddled baby in a seatbelt with a clip (or h harness), but couldn't find reference on this link anything referencing that such a practice is dangerous.

In the referenced page, they said this :
    Swaddling when in their cot, or stroller is fine, however, it is best that infants be placed into their car seat normally with blankets then placed over top of the child over top of the harness.
    They don't say why, so I'm trying to work out what I've missed.

The only reference to something that may be dangerous is that the strap could break on impact. So the danger here seems to be that in an accident, if the strap broke, then there is a possibility that a swaddled baby could come through the top half of the seat belt. Isn't the risk the same as a non swaddled baby, as a baby of that age, doesn't have the control over their upper body and if the seat belt is adjusted correctly, then it's already controlling the position of the child at the hips and shoulders.

I'm asking as a genuine question as I can't see that a swaddled baby with their legs in the hip harness and a correctly positioned shoulder strap is any less safe than a child with their arms free in the same seatbelt (clip aside as it's already been stated that the clip could break).

(I really can't figure why the parent couldn't swaddle around the baby though, and so the whole thing puzzles me).

Thanks
    Reviews

The issue really is making sure people know you cannot use that product and swaddle your baby. It's not safe.