+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weighted Vests and Blankets

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Weighted Vests and/or Blankets?
    It's been mentioned as a trial for my son but i want to try find out some other peoples experiences with them. Would also be great if u could say what was the reason for you using them or them being suggested :-) Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister in law uses weighted blankets for her daughter. She hasn't been diagnosed as yet, however, she was biting mum, dad and sisters when she was frustrated. She is 2.5 and isn't very verbal (perhaps 5 words) she gets frustrated quickly. They have also used "pushing" items to distract the behaviour. So when she goes to bite they redirect her to push on a pram or other objects. It all seems to help. Good luck!

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use both for DS.

He wears the vest at school while sitting at his desk doing worksheets.
    The teacher says he is less fidgety, more calm and able to sit for longer periods while wearing it. As soon as he takes it off, you can notice the change in his body language and attitude.

The blanket he uses at home on his lap while watching tv and he sometimes put it across his legs when in bed. This also seems to keep him calm and still.

Once after a meltdown, he sat on my lap and I wrapped him in the blanket and cuddled him, and it calmed him down in a flash.

There a few different types of vests around, our one is from calming kids. I liked their ones better because they just look like a normal vest and he can wear it with anything without it looking odd, much more fashionable than some others.
    You can also adjust the weight by adding or removing the bags of beans in the pockets on the inside. DS only has 2 x 500g gram bags as he is quite small (tall but very skinny).

The weighted blanket we got from nanna's weighted blankets. They have a good range, can get pricey but otherwise good. La Burp also sell them.

Hope that helps! I recommend them.
    Last edited by bambino; 19-11-2012 at 14:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Weighted Vests and Blankets

If your child has an OT I would ask to trial a vest or lap pad one time while in session. My son doesn't particularly like the vest but does calm down and can sit still for longer with the weighted lap pad. We only use it when necessary during therapy (his Speechie and OT both have them)