+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mixed feeding

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice on starting to mix feed my 3 month DS. I want to continue to BF him 90% of the time but there are occasions where it would be good to be able to give him a FF bottle. He is comfortable with the bottle as my partner has been giving him a bottle of EBM daily since birth. However, I don't seem to be able express milk on demand, just when I need it even though I seem to have enough supply to adequately feed the baby.

My son has had colic but this seems to be somewhat better and he is currently medicated for reflux.

Paed suggested NAN HA Gold...anyone else have any experiences with this...or have thoughts on other options?

Also, do you have ideas on how and when to begin to introduce the occasional
    FF without upsetting his tummy with anew food?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mixed feeding

We started introducing a formula bottle at night from early on with all 4 of my DD's. They tolerated the comp feeding really well.
    DD4 was on nan ha gold which was fantastic until her reflux got worse with the new improved formula. I'm
    Not sure of they've changed it back now or if it would even be a problem for your DS but other suggestions are Karicare or Karicare goat formula (this is what DD4 is on now which works good).

Good luck with it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mixed feeding

We mixed feed my 9 week old, we were comp feeding every second bf but now have replaced several feeds with ff. we use nan ha gold on the advice of the echn and GP and have had zero probs with it. I found it best to replace one feed per day (same time each day) over a few days to allow your breasts to adjust. It's working or us. I wanted to exclusively bf but just don't have the supply so have been supplementing since the first two weeks, a bout of mastitis when coming off motilium tanked my supply last week so we decided to introduce a few formula bottles. DD has been very happy with this so far

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mixed feeding

I bf but like the backup of ff if I need to. My DS sometimes has a top up at night as I found he sleeps longer and vomits less. I use NAN HA gold with no probs, S26 Gold made him constipated (and smelt bad). We always gave the odd bottle of EBM and the transition was smooth and didn't impact my bf'ing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I comped my DD as a baby due to serious supply issues. When it was with formula I found bellamys organic worked the best. I never found any formula improved her incidence of reflux (as in the AR versions)- which is what has been found in the research about it too and the HA version of formula has not been found to reduce the incidence of allergy either. I think you just need to pick what works for you. The only thing you need to be aware of is
    that every 1 FF can affect 2 or 3 BF after- they aren't a 1 for 1 swap usually.
    Thanks for that. So, if he usually feeds every 2 hours he may not feed for 4-6 hours after a FF? Is this right? If so, is this because FF is higher in calories?

Also, this is probably a dumb question but...I don't suppose there is any problem mixing the made up FF with EBM for the first few bottles...just to ease him into it?

Cheers