+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default formula every 2 hours?

Hi so as of today ds (3weeks) is officially 100% formula fed after being comp fed for past few weeks, but he is feeding every 2 hours! sometimes he wakes up an hour and half after last wake up and is sucking on my neck/his fingers like crazy, i have been trying to hold him out at least to get to two hours but i thought the formula was gonna leave him fuller, i didnt mind so much when he was having EBM because i know it digests differently.

Could it be a growth spurt? should i hold him out even longer to try and get a bigger break? sometimes he doesnt have a full bottle every feed, i have been making 100ml and he has about 60-70, if i make 50 he seems to just guts it and be hungry really soon.

Im scared he will be like dd and will be unsettled but i will be thinking hes hungry and just stick a bottle in his mouth and develop bad habits, this morning about 45 mins before he was due for a feed(well 2 hours after last one started) he was fussing but i really didnt think he could be hungry so i just wrapped him and rocked with him and he eventually fell asleep for about an hour, then woke up and had a full bottle.

Im just scared im doing the wrong things and making a rod for my back like with DD, her first year was hell with no routine or structure or me knowing what to do i dont want that again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think you're doing the wrong thing at all!

My DS was always very hungry in the early weeks. Every 2 hours. We ended us using a dummy to get him to last a bit longer between feeds. We also used cooled, boiled water as well. If he was really hungry then he would let us know that he wasn't being fooled but sometimes it was all he needed.

It could be growth or comfort or anything. I wouldn't worry too much. Some babies are very hungry. I think they eventually sort themselves out with going longer between feeds. My DS did a bit, but he has always just been a big feeds - even now on solids he eats a huge amount!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (18-11-2012)

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Might also be Wind. Babies suck on things when they have a wind pain. But it could also be your little one is just a hungry caterpillar lol or maybe the formula your using isn't filling up the belly, maybe try a thicker one? Hope everything works out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes growth goes like this 3, 6, 9 weeks...that's what I read somewhere. It's great they can eat. If he finishes his formula at one go and nothing's left, u can try giving him more the next feed to see if he can manage a bit more to stretch the feeding time. That's what MCHN advised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could he be having wind? My DS2 is 5weeks old and there are times he fusses at the same time wanting a drink we burp him and true enough he has got wind in him that comes up in a loud burp. This happens too when he is sleeping...fussing a lot, pick him up pat him and he burps. Wind!

Thanks
    Reviews
    have you tried a dummy? my girl was the same - comp fed, then fully ff. i finally tried the gumdrop dummies and she loved them.
    that, and the art of distraction - going outside for a walk to space her feeds out a bit.
    but to be honest i wouldn't worry too much - if bub is hungry, just feed them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my ds was the same until i switched to a thicker formula. novalac sweet dreams worked well for us.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

My DS was the same. BF for first 10 days then comp fed for 2 weeks and is now FF fed. He did the same thing for the first week when we switched to 100% FF, fed every 2 hours. He is now 5.5 weeks and feeds every 3 hours of a day & approx 4-5 hours at nite. I think they go thru an adjustment phase when switching over. I use Karicare Aptimal Gold plus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was the same, bf for first 4 weeks then ff! I think in the first 6 weeks there is no point in a routine, they r so brand new that I think baby led is easier, so cut yourself some slack as I am sure your doing an awesome job!! My understanding is that formula needs 2 hours to digest properly so anything over that should be fine. Our DD wanted to feed every 1.5 to 2 hours for about a month after moving onto fully formula but in saying that at 3 weeks of age was sleeping 8/10 hours a night (ridiculous I know) but needed to make up for it during the day, we pushed her to at least 2 hours and when she could fit more in her little tummy per feed she moved onto every 3 hours! And don't forget every baby is different!! Good luck and I am sue your little one will be settled in no time!!