+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tantrums!

My 10mo DD has always been impatient and demanding, and now she's figured out how to throw a tantie! Yesterday she cracked it, closed fists and screaming (no tears so I knew it was a tantrum) because one of her toys ran out of batteries. Today she ripped her bib off and started throwing food behind her because I was still eating lunch and she wanted out of her highchair.
    How do I handle this? I expected her to get more temperamental as she grew up, but was not expecting full blown tantrums until at least 1 1/2 - 2yo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tantrums!

She's ten months old. So it's less of a tantrum and more of an outburst of frustration

You can either relieve the frustration, or redirect her attention.

You can start verbally reasoning with her (like you'd handle a toddler tantrum) but she's too young to cooperate like that, so it would be more just practice for you than actually useful as such a young age.
    So you still need to combine this verbal communication with either relieving the frustration or redirecting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

TnA  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have found the easiest way to prevent tantrums even as they get older is avoid a trigger, foresee a problem and try to prevent it. Like if she was looking a bit restless in the High chair maybe you can pull her out wash her up and place her by her toys to play while you finish your meal stuff like that. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

TnA  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tantrums!

What food is she eating? Maybe something is making her irritable?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

TnA  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I've been trying to redirect her, but she goes 0 to whoa in a split second sometimes. The highchair thing today was when I had a couple of bites of my sandwich left and she decided she was done...
    We haven't introduced anything new to her diet, unfortunately she's always been a bit irritable. General day involves breakfast - porridge/weetbix with fruit, scrambled eggs, toast or crumpets.
    Snack of fruit - usually a couple of slices of banana and apricot/mango/pear/etc. Or yoghurt.
    Lunch is finger food - sandwich, some cheese, fruit, occasionally some meat/fish/avocado
    Dinner is usually a pasta of some sort, or meat and veg plus whatever is on my plate if I eat at the same time. She has a couple of spoons of yoghurt or organic fruit custard (no preservatives/sugars/colours added).
    She's FF and offered water through the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tantrums!

We have a 29 month old and a 16 month old- the 16 month old started tantrums at around 10 months- screaming whenever she didn't get what she wanted now- she is soon to be 1 of 5 children so giving her what she wants now every time will never happen. We just let her scream it out and when she stopped asked "are you all done now..... Are you finished your dinner or did you want the ball off the table"..... I dont know if it's correct or not but I refuse to talk to a child mid tantrum unless its to move them to a safer area..... She stopped after a few weeks and it's rare we get a tantrum now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (18-11-2012),TnA  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tantrums!

Read the labels of your bread and especially watch crumpets as most contain the additive 282 which is known to cause behavior problems in kids

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

TnA  (18-11-2012)