+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sleeping pills - who knows about them?

So I've been a terrible sleeper since I was a little kid. At the moment I'm on catapres and melatonin to help my brain relax and get sleepy, which usually works okish. The problem is that my body clock is really screwed up! I never seem to get sleepy before 2am, regardless of when I get up in the mornings.
    (I haven't had a sleepy time before midnight in at least 15 years).

Anyway, I'm finally sick to friggin' death of this problem and I'm planning on asking my doctor for some hard core sleeping pills to try and kick this terrible sleeping routine. But I'm not sure what drug to ask for?

I need something that could put down a rhino, or otherwise it's probably not going to work. Can anyone throw suggestions at me as to what drugs I could research?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Might be a silly question, but have you tried taking the melatonin earlier? I take mine at 6pm each night to get tired for 10. Are you taking prescription melatonin or over the counter? I get prescribed melatonin that I need to get made up at a compound pharmacy.

if you really want to try the sleep meds then maybe ask for stillnok (sp?).

to be honest though, sleeping meds are almost impossible to get, I've suffered terrible insomnia for years and no doctor will prescribe me anything other than the melatonin. Hope you get some sleep soon!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sleeping tablets are extremely addictive. Do you take homeopathic or prescribed melatonin?

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry didn't read the pp in full.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in the same boat - chronic insomnia since childhood.

Stilnox is the only thing I've tried that actually helps.

There have been some media reports about the side effects of stilnox. Luckily I have never experienced any of these, but I do know people that have.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've tried quite a few different ones to help me sleep. From memory, temazapam, diazepam, melatonin and there's another but I can't think of it! The doctor also offered me stillnox but I didn't take the offer of the prescription.

I also tried restavit once which is an over the counter one to get over jet lag.

The thing that helped me more than any of the drugs was getting into a better routine. I used to be up until 3am most nights but I would play on my phone or computer if I couldn't sleep which would keep me awake longer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You can always get over-the-coutner meds to help with sleep.

I go through periods where my brain just won't shut down and thus I cannot sleep.

I will take either restavit (over the counter) or phenergan 25mg. I find phenergan works much better, but that could be because if 1 tablet doesn't help you area allowed to take up to 3.

Probably not a good idea if you're likely to have to get up for a child in the middle of hte night though. I find a feel drunk/dizzy if I happen to wake to pee or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I use a tiny drop of melatonin and it works wonders! Don't think you can buy it here though but you can get it online.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've had temazepam, it's a short acting from my understanding. It will help you get to sleep but not stay asleep if that makes sense. I haven't had a reaction to that. My partner was on stillnox and it made him extremely aggressive and agitated. Have you tried plain old valerian??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am currently taking over the counter melatonin. The pharmacist said that if it worked then I should get a prescription melatonin - which I fully plan to do.
    I've tried taking all of my meds earlier - doesn't work.

Other over the counter stuff is soooooo not strong enough, I've tried a variety and it's all just a waste of time. I've also tried changing routines and have even devised an elaborate routine in order to fall asleep over the years. But nothing makes make me sleep any earlier.

I'm aware some sleeping medications are addictive and can only be taken short term. Which is exactly what I'm hoping to do. I just want to try and knock my body clock back into something more natural.

Thanks for the suggestions about stilnox, I'm going to look that up right now.