+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sunnybank Hospital -Brisbane

Hi all,

I am pregnant now , we have decided to go to private hospital. The closest to us is Sunnybank hospital. I would like to understand a few things before we take the right decision.

1. Has anyone has had any experience with Dr. Sharon Li? my GP has referred us to her. Please share your experience with Dr. Sharon
    2. How is the maternity at Sunnybank Private? I have heard mixed reviews about the hospital, but would love to know from people who used the facility.
    3. How soon should i decide on the hospital and OB? The next nearest private hospital is Mater Private.
    4. We have had Medibank Private couple's cover for well over a year and i know that it will cover our Hospitalisation, but would love to know any obvious gotcha's / out of pocket expenses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    jen

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    sorry I'm not familiar with your doctor .. but I can certainly recommend the hospital.

It has been awhile since I've been there (boys were born in 2005 and 2008) but I loved the hospital, facilities and the staff ... cant recommend it highly enough.

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Jen, just wondering about the anaesthetist and paediatrician, can we choose our own? do you recommend someone ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi and congrats!
    I am currently 32 wks pregnant and booked into sunnybank private. I don't know much about your ob sorry but I'm with brad Armstrong and so far have been really happy with him! He is easy going and makes u feel really comfortable. He also just got a 3d scanner so u can c bub each visit. His fees are very reasonable- visits are practically free for me and his management fee is $1500- I got about $450 back

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

jennifer1985  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Congratulations!!!

1. Has anyone has had any experience with Dr. Sharon Li? my GP has referred us to her. Please share your experience with Dr. Sharon - sorry didn't use this OB we had Dr Heng Tang.

2. How is the maternity at Sunnybank Private? I have heard mixed reviews about the hospital, but would love to know from people who used the facility. - had my DS April this year and it was amazing and staff are amazing. We didn't want to leave! Parking is convenient, homely feel.

3. How soon should i decide on the hospital and OB? The next nearest private hospital is Mater Private. - definitely be calling first thing tomorrow morning. OBs can book out fast. I booked the day I found out even before getting my referral letter from the GP.

4. We have had Medibank Private couple's cover for well over a year and i know that it will cover our Hospitalisation, but would love to know any obvious gotcha's / out of pocket expenses. - the OB management fee is not covered by private health. You only get a few hundred back Medicare. Depending on your OB there may be a gap payment for visits. My OB had a gap of $1 LOL but others are a lot more. The paed also is not covered by private health. There is a daily fee is your partner stays overnight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Congrats on ur pregnancy. I had my first son at sunny bank in sept 2011 and I am due to have my 2nd son there in the next few weeks.

Sorry I can't comment on the dr I am with brad armstrong as well. Would recommend him as he is brilliant but unfortunately is moving to greenslopes private in march so wouldn't be taking any new patients birthing at sunnybank.

As for cost I had the excess from my private health insurance to pay and that was it in terms of the hospital stay. If u have an epidural or a csection u will be out of pocket for the anesthetist. Exact cost depends on who is on call for the day/night. Usually it's around $200-$300 out of pocket.

The paediatrician they allocate u will
    Probably require u to pay a bill but it's claimable from medicare.

If ur partner stays at the hospital u can get food for them, and pay for linen etc, my husband stayed the 4 nights first time round and it was about $50.

Ur OB does cost a bit out of pocket but u will have to check with ur specific dr.

They offer physio and antenatal classes, these aren't covered by medical or private health and cost about $80 the physio class and $150 for the antenatal class.

With ur private insurance check this and make sure u know exactly what ur covered for. It's $1500 a night if ur baby requires the special care nursery. Make sure ur health insurance covers this.

I think that's about it cost wise. I know I certainly wasn't out of pocket much at all but I do have top level hospital cover.

As for the hospital itself it's great. I had a wonderful experience first time round and am pretty sure this time will be the same. The midwives are very helpful and as it's not an exceptionally busy maternity ward there was always someone around when I needed them. The birth suite was great felt very comfortable to give birth in etc. Had a shower and bath. Pretty sure they don't allow u to birth in the bath but something to ask if ur interested.

Hmm think that's about it if u have any other questions I'm happy to answer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleGuppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I have brad Armstrong too and he is lovely! I was a bit worried about going to an ob as a lot seem high intervention but he is wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews

I can also tell you that I am going to mater private instead of sunny bank as brad felt they would be more open to things for my birth (as its a vbac)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Pink...Wish you a healthy and safe delivery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info Busy Bee