+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help with getting almost 14mo to sleep better at night!

My dd is 13.5 months old and her nighttime sleep is dreadful. She slept through the night from 4 weeks til 4 months and we thought we had a great sleeping baby. Since then she's woken up overnight for feeds most nights, gradually dropping down to 1 - 2 feeds a night. I would be up for an hour at most with these feeds and they would be 5 - 8 hours apart. I was managing but still dreamed of better sleep. Then she turned 1 and got sick. She was sick for 3 long weeks with a cold/ear infection/etc and dh & I spent 3 - 6 hours between 7pm & 7am with a screaming baby in arms. Then she got better and her molars started coming through ... yep, all 4 of them!

So, now it's been 7 weeks with seriously interupted night time sleep. Her lower molars are fully through and the top molars are partially through and I don't think they are that painful anymore. BUT, she still won't sleep for more than 3 hours at a time overnight, and actually a 2 hour gap between wakes is good. I'm only feeding her once or twice overnight (usually twice) & dh is a great help, but we are both SO tired.

I'm not oppossed to controlled comforting but most of the time it's not working. This morning nothing worked and after she got up for the day she did a massive poo and so I think she had a sore tummy. She seems to have a sensitive gut on top of everything else and some foods do irritate her.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to start? Books to recommend? Websites to look at? Is she too old for sleep school (mind you as I work 2.5 days a week in my own business that's not a real option at the moment)?

Thanks. I'm SO tired and need help. I'm off to the GP tomorrow, but any thoughts from fellow hubbers are appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

IMO recovering from sickness is a big deal for toddlers. My dd1 took ages (~6-7wks) to get back to normal after her month of ill health.

The only thing I can suggest is be consistent and get a single bed.

Everytime dd1 woke up we resettled her by lying next to her in her bed. That way if DH or I fell asleep it's ok! But she never left her bed other than toilet trips.

Now if she wakes up upset (massive storm freaked her out last night) we only had to sit next to her and rub her back a bit.

Btw - we nightweaned at 14mths using dr jay gordons method. It worked brilliantly. Dd1 cut 16teeth in 6mths so by 14mths we were ready to cut night feeds. I'd wait till those 4molars are out before night weaning tho.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 18-11-2012 at 12:11.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mim1  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rose&Aurelia. I have seen the Jay Gordon night weaning info and was going to give it a try at some point. I'm thinking maybe next week. I hope it works for us as well as it did for you. Night weaning would make life a lot easier. My dh is trying hard to settle her instead of me going in and offering milk, but we're failing at our attempts so far.

I can't see the GP til Wednesday, but hopefully he will say her ears are fine and then we'll progress with being firmer overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews

She is not too old for sleep school. Where are you? Herein Melbourne, Masada takes babies under 2. Speak with your GP about a referral and don't delay. We went when our DS was 9 months old and I wish I had gone 3 months earlier!!! Our lives are now so much easier, he is happier and our marriage is alive again. Sleep deprivation is a nasty nasty beast.

Our son is 15 months old now and ALWAYS sleeps 11-12 hours over night and has 2 days sleeps of MINIMUM 1.5 hours each... EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you don't get this sleep then seek help and you will be a new mummy

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Thanks Rose&Aurelia. I have seen the Jay Gordon night weaning info and was going to give it a try at some point. I'm thinking maybe next week. I hope it works for us as well as it did for you. Night weaning would make life a lot easier. My dh is trying hard to settle her instead of me going in and offering milk, but we're failing at our attempts so far.

I can't see the GP til Wednesday, but hopefully he will say her ears are fine and then we'll progress with being firmer overnight.
    We adapted it slightly as in we cold turkey stopped feeding but kept up the co sleeping. So DH just slept next to dd1 and said that mummy went to work. 3 nights later no more wake ups and surprisingly no crying.
    She understood mummy was at work so just rolled over. But DH did offer water in case she was thirsty. Qld summers are hot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Monday night was good with her waking once for a feed and going directly back to sleep. I thought our issues were over. Nup. Last night she was awake at 11, 1, 3 & 5 and fed at 11 & 1 (big feeds too!).

I'm off to the GP this morning (nearly cancelled the appt yesterday - glad I didn't!) and will see what he says.