+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fab book for 12 year old girl?

We are sending books to the nieces and nephew this Christmas... the under 5's are getting Christmas-related picture books but there is one niece who is 12.

Is there an age-appropriate, gripping book for her that is somehow related to Christmas? Or a non-Christmas book you think she'd enjoy?

I don't know anything about her taste in books because she's overseas and I don't spend much time with her. 5 years ago she loved Cinderella and other girly fairy tales. (that's when I last saw her!)

Just looking for any ideas thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My niece who just turned 13 loves any Meg Cabot book! She wrote the Princess Diaries and a series of different ones. She LOVES them and reads them over and over.
    I'm also a teacher and my older primary kids 11years+ love the Geronimo Stilton books. Another great author is Michael Morpurgo.
    I could list more like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, conspiracy 365 etc but it depends on her interests.
    Good luck! Maybe you can ask parents what she likes. Sorry none of them are specifically Christmas.
    Great idea though... I often buy books for my nieces but they adore reading.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just investigated some of these authors and have found a book called: "Michael Morpurgo Christmas Stories". It's a collection of four of his Christmas stories. I'm not familiar with this author, is most of his work aimed at the approx 12 year old age-group? The description of the book sounds like it would be appropriate.
    Your reply was very helpful by the way Tamtam. I'll remember these authors for the future for my own ch'n.

Thanks
    Reviews

When I was 12 I loved The Secret Garden and Little Women. But these may be too old fashioned for your niece! Depends what she likes to read really, books are such a personal thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as above, and if she doesn't mind old fashioned Anne of Green Gables was my absolute favourite at that age, Anne is 11 in the first one and there are 7 others in the series. I still read them several times a year (I think I'm seriously uncool though )

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm also a teacher and my older primary kids 11years+ love the Geronimo Stilton books.
    Really?! I would have thought those books were for a much younger audience.

OP, it's not Christmassy as such but The Hobbit film is coming out Boxing Day, so if she hasn't read it already the book might be timely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Fab book for 12 year old girl?

The only Christmas one I can think of is the Nutcracker.

At 12 I loved Harry Potter and anything I could get my hands on really

There are heaps of options depending on what she is into.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Fab book for 12 year old girl?

Yes, I think some of these suggestions are very 'young' for a 12 year old girl. I would second Meg Cabot. Or Jacqueline Wilson, Cathy Cassidy, Meg Rossoff Sonya Hartnett, Sarah Dessen (last three are definitely for more mature 12 year olds) Anne of Green Gables would be good too, if she hasn't already read it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes Geronimo Stilton is for a younger audience but both my niece and the majority of girls in my year six class adore them and collect them. Go figure?!?!
    As for Michael Morpurgo, he writes a variety of books. Some are aimed at about year three level, some older. It depends on the book.
    I agree also with the other suggestions. I'm just going on what I see doing the rounds in my class. Also The Billionaire's Curse seems highly popular in the last 12 months too.
    I also have kids loving the My Story books, they are basically true stories written like a novel from Australian History. Not sure if your niece living overseas would like them but the girls in my class love them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My favorite book at that age was Hating Alison Ashley.