+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Change of Assessment : Reason 6

Hi

I have been having some trouble getting information from the CSA on this so here goes....

The other day i submitted an application for a COA under reason 6: High Costs of Child Care. Child care is considered high if out of pocket expenses exceed 5% of income. Well my fees equate to 13.41% of my income. It sucks. I am trying so hard to provide a comfortable life for my DS and and it is just so depressing having to watch this money exit my bank account every single week when i really have no other choice other than going back onto PPS where i would be worse off anyway. DS is in my care 100% of the time. FOB could care less about DS and the little CS i receive is taken from his wages. I feel so angry sometimes that i have to burden the whole cost in addition to general child expenses when our incomes are similar which is what prompted me to apply for a COA. I have requested 50% of child care costs be paid by him.

Basically all i want to know, now that i have submitted my application, is what to expect from here? I am just wanting to hear from anyone who has gone through this before and what the outcome was? Any information really on the process would be fantastic.

TIA

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is interesting! My childcare bill is 16% of my income, for only 3 days a week, (I'm doing a full time phd). I used the reassessment for another reason, his income was more than his tax return, and found the system to be helpful and efficient. We had separate telephone conferences with the CSA person, then she made a judgement. The assessment is for 3 years in my case, and frankly I was really silly and didn't ask for nearly enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow 16%

Then again it doesn't surprise me. I receive salary packaging and a tax free benefits card and if I didn't have those then I am guessing, when all the adjustments are made and my taxable income increases, that my out of pocket expenses would be around that mark also.

I have done a COA in the past also under reason 8 which is income related but I guess I am curious how an expense related COA is assessed.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would like to know as well as its quite possible I will have to lodge one in future in regards to medical costs for child

Thanks
    Reviews

Right. Well I had a call back today in regards to the application....

The lady at CSA said that she could see that Reason 6 had been well and truly established and that my application would move forward. However, FOB has changed jobs yet again and is claiming an income of zero. The lady mentioned that if our incomes were similar then typically they would assess the expense by dividing it 50/50. Now because he isn't working, they will look at his "potential to earn". So if he has a long term illness or caring responsibilities that stop him from being employed then that would be a huge consideration and I would have to foot most of the expense. If they deem him capable of being employed and he still has no income then she said that she is likely to assess him on his income anyway meaning that I will still have to foot most of the costs. I told her that I thought that was bullsh!t considering I am able to be employed when I have full responsibility of my son and when he has no constraints from being employed full time. She understood where I was coming from and said that in the end, after she has investigated all circumstances, that the decision would be hers and she will decide what is fair.

So now I wait. I'm not sure how this will go but I will keep everyone updated.