+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Open or not open presents at kids party!

Every party my girls have been to lately they don't open the presents during the party except for today's bday J did. I love seeing the look on the LO face when they get a present so completely for opening it at the party perhaps near the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For dd's first birthday, we opened at home, there were 3 big tables full of gifts and it took like an hour to do at home (And that was with me doing most of he opening).

At her 2nd, she opened a few as they were given to her but got sick of it quickly. She had a Ear infection so was a bit off, evey one understood and wasn't offended. I sent a personalized text/pic of her opening them later to say thanks.

I think as she grows up it will normally be as they are handed to her, except if we decide to invite all the families again (ending up with tables full of gifts again I'm sure) then it will be done after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

It depends on the child's age and the size of the party. It's unreasonable to expect a 1 year old to sit there while 40 presents are opened. A 6 year old opening 10 presents is reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's nicer to open presents when guests are still at party it's apart of the fun as a kid and kids want to see their friends ope. The present they got

Thanks
    Reviews
    for toddler's party I believe it's best not to open to save jealousy and other tantrums (he didn't like my present! etc)

what I did last year for my 4 year old was to give each child a present instead of party bags and just put the goodies in there so they don't feel like they are missing out. It worked really well! goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD1 had a maccas party this yr and the maccas girl running it sat them all in a circle while DD1 opened her presents. I wasnt a fan of it as all the kids wanted to do was play and the party only goes for 1.5hr.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Mynameisalice  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Open or not open presents at kids party!

At my DSD 3rd birthday the other week, I had to run to the shops for some last minute essentials and missed out on seeing her open her presents... I have a feeling BM Sat her down to open them while I wasn't there on purpose... :-( :'(

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I generally get my dd and ds to open their presents just before or after the cake. Always done it that way at all ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didnt realise there was such a huge ettique thing for opening presents!

For the kids I prefer to open them after the party. DS had his 7th birthday and all the kids 'helped' him open his presents. There was crap everywhere and some of the toys got broken as they were all in such a frenzy to open and play with all the toys. Also some pieces got lost in all the rubbish.

Wont be doing that again!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Open or not open presents at kids party!

Having done both (opening at & opening after), next party we have at home, we are going to open them after the cake has been cut. That way I can supervise, make sure the giver is thanked, make sure I keep track of who gave what and the giver will see it being opened.

Opening as they are given is too hard (to many coming & goings with people arriving etc), and opening if the party isn't at home is too hard (bits getting lost, managing the wrapping paper etc).