+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do Brisbane public hospitals work ??

I'm 12 1/2 weeks and was seeing a doctor/ob on the gold coast. I have just moved to Brisbane and unsure what to do! If someone could please explain that would be great

Do I need to find a new dr here and get a referral for a hospital? Am I able to get a referral from my original doc for a hospital in Brisbane, or do I not need a referral but rather just contact the hospital directly?

How many weeks should I be before I book into a hospital? Where am I likely to be sent to if I live in Gordon park ? (I was told mater but I noticed royal woman's is closer)

Am I far enough to have midwife care at the hospital or will I still need to see a private dr?

Experiences with mater & royal woman's?

Thank you
    I am very unfamiliar with the city antenatal care and hospitals, I am from a small town and just moved here a few months ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: How do Brisbane public hospitals work ??

You will probably need to find a GP in the catchment area for whatever hospital you want to go to and get a referral asap. Mater only has a certain allocation of public patients and at 12 weeks you may not get accepted if they are full. From what I was told the Mater don't accept referrals from Dr outside their catchment.

I am not sure on the royal, I would personally put in a referral to both and see which one you get and if you get both then choose which one you want.

I had my oldest at the old mater mothers and am having #3 there in June next year. I had a good experience. Through only hospital I personally steer clear of is the Logan after a traumatic experience with DS2.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think you will find you have to find a dr and get a referral. You will also only be accepted into a hospital in your catchment area if you are going public (so unfortunately you have much choice) I would say it would be royal women's which I've only heard good things about.

Mater public south Brisbane generally have a very small catchment area but see women from everywhere if they're high risk. It's manly for more complicated pregnancies and books super quick.

I have had experience at Mater south Brisbane but only in the private sector.

Of course you can opt for private care by a private OB if you want but generally need phi and it cost a fair bit.

Best to see a dr and he/she will explain more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I think you will find you have to find a dr and get a referral. You will also only be accepted into a hospital in your catchment area if you are going public (so unfortunately you have much choice) I would say it would be royal women's which I've only heard good things about.

Mater public south Brisbane generally have a very small catchment area but see women from everywhere if they're high risk. It's manly for more complicated pregnancies and books super quick.

I have had experience at Mater south Brisbane but only in the private sector.

Of course you can opt for private care by a private OB if you want but generally need phi and it cost a fair bit.

Best to see a dr and he/she will explain more.
    Mater actually have a wide catchment area but only take a small allocation of public patients as they only get funding from the government for a set amount

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep Logan avoid at all costs I am positive mater mothers will already be booked out and it's a 9km catchment radius. As I said earlier if you are High risk it's a different story but it will depend on your situation.

I think there is a birthing centre attached to royal women's aswell for more care free, drug free, midwife monitored pregnancies and births (only of low risk)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Mater actually have a wide catchment area but only take a small allocation of public patients as they only get funding from the government for a set amount

I was told opposite when I was there. Unless high risk they will accept from far but not for standard pregnancies as they are very popular and have had to cut it back. My friend tried and lived at mt gravatt and couldn't at 5 weeks, but ended up going there due to complications that came up from 9weeks.

Of course I don't work there and I have only ever been a private patient there but I was going from what the midwifes told me and friends

Op best to just see a dr and find out for sure your options

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Oh I was the opposite, I was low risk and lived 20km south of the mater and was accepted no worries. It could of changed I dunno

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're going public, you are in the catchment area for the Royal and not the Mater. If you're high risk, the Mater will accept you. If going private the mater will accept you. If you're public and not high risk Mater won't accept you, you will have to go to the Royal. hope that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I just jumped on google and had a look at the royal woman's, and I love the idea of a birth centre. It is also a 5 minute drive away which is good because I don't want to be in the car for long whilst in labour, I'm one of those people who need to move around and walk in pain. I will see a dr next week and get a referal then call the hospital. Thanks for the replies I am excited now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls!
    just for your info, here is a link to the mater public hospital in brisbane's antenatal catchment area

http://materonline.org.au/getattachm...Guidelines.pdf

congrats miah. RBWH birth centre is great. Have a midwife friend working there.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mybelly For This Useful Post:

Miah  (17-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (17-11-2012)