+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 week old with such bad wind he won't feed... Help!

Hi first forum post so hope I get it right!!

I have a 12 week old little boy who has had a bit if a rough trot. He had a bout of relatively mild gastro at 7 weeks where we had a night in hospital just for observation. The next week he had a dreadful cold which meant he had a lot of trouble feeding (EBF), but we got through it with lots of saline spray. I weighed him a week later as I didn't think he was gaining and he hasn't gained any weight at all in two weeks. Rush to MHN, she sent me off to the GP who checked him over, couldn't find anything and sent me to our Paediatrician who also couldn't find anything. At his next weigh in the little guy had gained 100 gms in a week so the lack of gain before was put down to a glitch caused by the two viruses. He's meeting his milestones and sleeping pretty well at night (last feed around 7, wakes once around 3 or 4). He is quite difficult to settle as he has reflux and can be very windy and spewy. That I can cope with, it's just that now he seems to dislike feeding and fidgets wriggles cries and generally gets upset through his feed. I have to trick him with a dummy - he has a suck to settle and then I put him back on the breast. It takes ages to feed. I also have a two year old I fed successfully to 21 months. It's only gotten bad this past week, when he's also had a suspected UTI (turns out he didn't). Has anyone experienced anything similar? He's a little guy and I want to pump food into him.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave my DD Infacol and it gave her great relief. I know there are plenty of people who poo-poo it, but it got me out of a bind one day when I was out and about and DD was screaming so I popped into a chemist and grabbed some.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (17-11-2012)

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews

My DS is similar. He fusses at the breast & I, too, have to trick him with the dummy.

I found it best to feed him before he was even 'asking' for it. As soon as he'd wake up I would just put him on the breast while he was still relaxed. He would often have a great feed when I did this. And then just before his sleep I would offer another one, if he didn't take it then that was fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to matalee For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hm, thought I'd already sent a big thanks for this one, but looks like it didn't post - I'm such a novice.

Thanks for this - I actually had a thought this evening that I might need to swap the nappy then feed scenario. He does seem happier if he's more settled at the start of a feed. Matalee - does your DS feed both sides when you manage to trick him? My little man seems to only be taking a quick snack on the second side. He hasn't been a great feeder all along (all being twelve weeks... ), but the past week he's been worse. Such a shock after having a guzzle guts for a first born! Managed to feed her 'til the night before I went into hospital with this one. She then decided to wean herself at 21 months, "it's for the baby" apparently. Rambling! Shall stop typing now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi...check out baby massage on Youtube...just search under baby and colic. These massages really seemed ton help with my DS's wind. It's a rare massage where we aren't rewarded with some baby farts

Hmm...my DS only feeds one breast at a time...but then he does feed every two hours during the day. I wonder if his reflux makes it painful to feed?
    Last edited by Albert01; 17-11-2012 at 21:42. Reason: Typos

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (18-11-2012)

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews

Kri1973 - I've struggled with supply on my left breast so most of my feeds are from my right. When he does feed from the left he always takes the right but sometimes with a bit of tricking. My DS changed the time he spent feeding almost over night at around 12 weeks. I thought he wasn't getting enough because he seemed to finish feeding so quickly but I had him weighed this week & he's put heaps of weight on. It seems they may get more efficient & quicker at feeding at around that age.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to matalee For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS went through this at an earlier age. He would scream during feeds!

We tried infants friend before every feed and I would rub his back in a long stroking motion from shoulder blades to bottom throughout feed. Sometimes would need to take him off and lay him tummy down on my lap and stroke his back.

Somehow the combination of above helped.

I put it down to me having quite a fast forceful let down and flow.

Either he adjusted to my flow and learnt to manage it or it eased up but the screaming and wind did stop.

I hope some of the tips pp have given can give your bubs and you some relief!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I think you need to go back to your GP or Paediatrician as there is medication you can give for reflux. My DD has silent reflux and has been on a medication called Nexium, but it's more common that babies are prescribed Losec. It's the same thing but it stops the stomach from producing acid which is what causes the reflux burn.

Reflux can cause wind as the pain and discomfort while feeding causes the baby to pull off the breast or bottle and they generally suck in more air while feeding. Infacol can actually make it worse.

Gastro can also cause lactose intollerance afterwards (from what I know I don't think it's a permanent thing, but it can happen after gastro (this is what my GP told me).

Maybe try also cutting out all dairy from your diet just in case there is a lactose intolerance and definitely see another GP and / or pediatrician. I'm so surprised that neither of them picked up on the lactose intolerance and haven't offered any help with his reflux.

Generally some babies can grow out of reflux at around 12 weeks of age so some GPs and pediatricians don't like to prescribe medicine, but then again many GPs aren't educated well enough about infant reflux and if your son goes too long with it and it is acid reflux, it can cause damage to their esophagus, so please get it checked out.

HTH

Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 20-11-2012 at 09:07.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Kri1973  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your thoughtful post. I was actually at the GP and then the paediatrician yesterday. The GP suggested lactose intolerance, but I'm vegan so it's unlikely. I think he might have turned a corner these past couple of days. His weight gain is on the lower end but the paediatrician wants me to weigh him fortnightly and go back in four weeks. Things seem to have improved with a baby biotic and latching him on when he's calm and sleepy rather than when he's fidgety wriggly. I'm happy to wait the four weeks rather than go through blood tests and medication as he does seem better this week. Might change my mind at the next weigh in!!

I think you're right about not all health care professionals being onto this reflux thing as the impression I've had is that some view it as mother's imagination. My daughter has a dairy allergy (hence being vegan as fed her up til the night before my DS was born), and was quite underweight by the time I convinced everyone something was wrong. Took two and a half months of being fobbed off as a worried new mum. This time round new health care team and I know more what to say.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lactose level in breast milk is not influenced by diet!

Hi,

I hope your little bub feels better soon! I just wanted to add that lactose intolerance is not the same thing as cow's milk protein intolerance. The amount of lactose in your breast milk is not influenced by your diet, so cutting back on dairy will not help (and as a vegan, you still have lactose in your breast milk)!! There is a lot of confusion surrounding dairy intolerance and lactose intolerance. If it is lactose, you can either put drops in the breastmilk which help breaking down the lactose in the gut, or you can put him on lactose-free formula for at least some feeds a day. My son is hypersensitive to lactose and this really helped him with his tummy aches. He was still gaining weight, which meant he was not completely intolerant to it. You can also try feeding him only on one breast in a 3-4 hour span and expressing the foremilk, as this is where a lot of the lactose is, so he only drinks the hindmilk. This wasn't enough to help my baby though. Lactose intolerance /hypersensitivity/ overload is indeed common after gastro, so it is worth eliminating it for some time and see how it goes! (maybe expressing and either adding the drops or trying out the lactose-free formula for 2 feeds a day while expressing to maintain supply in case it is not working. That's what I did, he was way better within 2 days and I started experimenting with the amount of lactose he could handle: 2 lactose-free feeds a day plus breastfeeding for the rest of the feeds work well for him up until now, 4 months later). All the best