+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Any landlords/property managers?

We have been in our house for about 2 months. It's always looked after- clean, tidy, maintained etc. The other day I accidentally drove into the garage too far and put a hole in the wall. Obviously we are paying for this to be fixed ourselves, but I'm not sure whether I need to tell the real estate? I feel absolutely terrible. We are getting it fixed ASAP.

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'd do the right thing and just advise the RE Agent cause it would be worse off getting it fixed but not painted the same it may then appear that you were trying to hide it at least this way it's showing you are honest and it was an accident and showing you're getting it fixed just puts you up higher again IYKWIM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TrulyBlessed For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Any landlords/property managers?

My ex put a huge hole in the wall. I fixed it myself, got the paint matched and painted the wall.
    No one ever noticed and it was far cheaper than paying someone else to do it.
    As long as it's fixed it shouldn't really matter.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It depends how much it will cost. Because you can claim under the owners insurance and pay the excess.

Thanks
    Reviews

If it has just hit plaster and you've bogged up the hole, sanded it and repainted the wall or it won't cost you much to get someone to fix it, do that.

However, if the damage it is at all structural or it will cost more than a couple hundred to repair, tell your landlord because they can lodge an insurance claim and you can just pay the excess.

I wouldn't be upset if my tenant did the same thing. Accidents happen. That's why we have insurance.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (18-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

As far as I can see its not structural. My uncle is a builder and said he will fix it for us. Just wasn't sure if we had to tell the real estate. But as a pp pointed out it would be better to be up front and honest. I will let them know Monday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I left the bath running a couple of weeks ago and soaked some carpet in a couple of bedrooms. I let the property manager know, and told them that I would get it taken care of, but just wanted to let them know out of courtesy. They were fine, and I think a little impressed /surprised that I was honest with them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Any landlords/property managers?

Just send them an email letting them know. It will save having to play phone tag and will take up less of both your time.

Also keep in mind that you'll have to paint the whole wall or the patch will be noticeable :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i would tell the real estate probably by email so you have it documented should you need it later and there response. I would also make a point of saying a builder is fixing it and supply details (wouldn't mention its your uncle) just incase the when you leave they try say the damage was more and was fixed by someone not qualified blah blah and try and claim money off you.(We have been badly treated by several landlords even though they seem nice when you live there) just cover and document everything and cover your ****.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Accidents happen hon. I really don't think the RE/owners will bat an eyelid as long as you get it fixed. They'd only be annoyed if you moved out and didn't pay for it to be fixed.