View Poll Results: So you give your children clothes as xmas presents?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes their presents are mostly or all clothes

1 1.89%
  • a mixture of clothes and other items

33 62.26%
  • Yes, but items such as swimmers or a dance outfit that aren't everyday clothes

7 13.21%
  • No, we don't give clothes

10 18.87%
  • Other

2 3.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Getting clothes was a real treat when I was a child, especially something which had been made just for me. My DD is only two, but loves getting given clothes and so do my nephew and nieces. I tend to follow the, "something they want, something they need...something to wear, something to read" philosophy and would rather spend money on awesome experiences (eg travel, quality time together), than stuff

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Do you give your kids clothes for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Although in our house I tend to think books aren't really gifts - DH's father is a well known children's book author and illustrator so we get kids books a lot through him, and I also run the book fairs at DD1's school, so I get a heap then too. the kids would get several new books every week or so (inc special ones) so I don't tend to give them too much as presents.

OoOOOoo.... Did he win a big Australian award this year??

To answer the OP, no I don't give clothes, mainly because he has too many already and because I'd never thought of getting clothes. But I might get him some t-shirts with dinosaurs and the like on them, as usually he has to put up with his mother's minimalistic taste. The wildest i'll get is the occasional stripe, but most of his clothes are very plain.

ETA when I was a tween my uncle used to take me clothes shopping for my b'day, to somewhere like Sportsgirl. OMG I loooooved that, soooo grown up!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 18-11-2012 at 06:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

we do.its a tradition in our house to open one present on Christmas eve.and for each of us that present is new pj's.the kids also get new swimmers for Christmas.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The way we do it, clothes are bought through the year as needed. Lay bys sometimes if we are short. So they get what they need as a rule, and xmas is for wants.

But again, each to their own. I'm not judging your decision just wondering what everyone else did.
    clothes are wants in our house.

DD (6) LOVES dresses and clothes ... she has way more than she needs, so if she wants a new dress ... then yes it goes on the christmas list.

So for this year she has got a selection of toys, and some clothes that she really wanted / will like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you give your kids clothes for Christmas?

Yep. New PJs to open on Christmas Eve and a new outfit and swimmers to wear Xmas day. They love it!

Oh and always nice knickers and jocks in their stocking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    OoOOOoo.... Did he win a big Australian award this year??

Not this year but he's won picture book of the year before and been shortlisted a few times. He includes my kids in his books which they love as they don't see him very often. His next one is about DD2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you give your kids clothes for Christmas?

Ohhh how cool!!

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Not this year but he's won picture book of the year before and been shortlisted a few times. He includes my kids in his books which they love as they don't see him very often. His next one is about DD2.
    Does he have a series for older kids as well? I want to figure it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Does he have a series for older kids as well? I want to figure it out

No. I'll give you more clues. He had a successful (sort of) set of books probably 30 years ago and then he stopped writing to raise his kids. He still exhibited art and art directed a few movies. He restarted about 6 years ago, has written and illustrated about 6 books and 3 of them were shortlisted for the CPBA awards (I thought the first one had won but now I'm not sure).

I know his books were carried by Yarra libraries (by BF is a children's librarian at one of them). He's not as well known as the more popular ones but gets a lot of critical acclaim.

Helpful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Ohhh how cool!!

Yeah I know - my kids don't see him very often due to health issues and distance so his books about the kids are like letters to them that they'll have forever. He went to DD1's school last year and read the book to the PP classes and her cool factor went through the roof for about a day, which was nice for her (then someone brought a lizard to school and all was forgotten )