+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't know if people are very good at seeing if they, themselves have grown up to be quite spoilt. Not sure if any if us can really answer honestly.
    Amen! I think most people lack the insight required to look at their own situations with true objectivity.

I also think 'spoilt' means different things to different people - for instance, there were several replies in this thread from people who didn't think they were spoilt, which I read and thought; "Gosh, that's almost the definition of spoilt!!". Just because I think they're spoilt doesn't mean they or anyone else would think that.

Am I spoilt as an adult? Yes and no. I have nice things, and a comfortable lifestyle, yes. However, I have zero debt, and I can honestly say, hand-on-heart, that every single thing I have, I worked for. So in that respect, no, I am not spoilt.

I think being spoilt as an adult means one of two things: either being given extravagant gifts or large sums of money, or getting into debt to buy pointless stuff that you could really live without.

JMO.

I hope when I have kids I can give them more than I had as a child, but I certainly won't be showering them in material possessions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No . My parents split when I was young and I lived with my dad so we lived on his one meagre wage. I just got a small present each year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think so. We got heaps of presents for Christmas, anything we could have wanted, but not so much year round for "nothing" IYKWIM. Ironically I now pretty much hate getting gifts and don't really do Xmas.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default "spin off" were you spoilt as a child

I agree that everyone defines spoilt differently. To me it's an attitude more than a dollar figure. Being surprised and thrilled on Christmas morning because there are a heap of presents under the tree isn't spoiled IMO. Expecting there to be heaps, and being disappointed with what is there, is spoilt.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (17-11-2012),Ellewood  (17-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (17-11-2012),Shoopuf  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: "spin off" were you spoilt as a child

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I agree that everyone defines spoilt differently. To me it's an attitude more than a dollar figure. Being surprised and thrilled on Christmas morning because there are a heap of presents under the tree isn't spoiled IMO. Expecting there to be heaps, and being disappointed with what is there, is spoilt.
    Completely agree!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    While I am so good at going off on completely unrelated tangents in my posts... You always manage to put so eloquently into words exactly what I *meant* to say

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a very poor household. Didnt celebrate nor get pressies for xmas or birthdays, hardly ever got toys but the few we had were from st vinnies/salvos, couldnt afford to go on school excursions and never went on holidays. Having said that we never went hungry and i always has plenty of siblings to play with and dont remember feeling poor.
    As an adult now i do not consider myself spoilt but i have terrible money management. My big problem is that i find it very difficult to resist sales and "bargains" and will often spend willy nilly on small things which add up. Whilst i havent gone all out on dd and ds for xmas (only spent about $50 each) i am constantly at the shops and buying things here and there. I can easily spend $50-$100 on craft/toys/clothes every week! It is a problem which i need to get under control...
    Thankfully my dh is a saver and works very hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was spoilt .. Not obscenely .. But I did get almost everyone I wanted for Xmas .. Including a horse ( after years of asking ) .. I appreciated it ... But I would never spoil my girl the same way ..