+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default "spin off" were you spoilt as a child

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I worked as soon as I turned 15 and my parents made me save half of every pay as they made it clear that they wouldn't be buying me a car or giving me money towards one.
    This is a great idea. We will be doing something very similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

No definitely not. My parents were drs and dentists and were well invested. Yet I wore mostly hand me downs and had hand me down toys and went to local public schools. It was just my brother and I. In saying that I think our parents had different priorities with how they spent their money.

They set us up for the future (saved so my brother and I could afford our first inner city apartment at 18 with no loans and bought our first brand new cars) so debt free and had money (equity) behind us. Great start.

They also took us on overseas trips to more uncommon places like (at the time) Vietnam, Cuba and of course Europe, Canada, etc.

We weren't spoilt at all in materialistic things (rather opposite) but benefited greatly from life experiences, stability etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In saying that I didn't really miss out. But I want nothing and I am happy with just the needs.

Dh on the other hand grew up opposite to me (parents had little) and he wasn't spoilt at all. Yet he loves to buy big ticket items all the time whether it necessary or not.

I think it's down to personality more then anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    ummm I dont think we were spoilt... When I got older and my mum started askign what we wanted, I would say anything cheap but I wanted 'a lot' of things to open. LOL I didnt care about the cost (she was single when I was 12) I just wanted the fun opening things. So it was normally socks and knickers or clothes. I remember when we got our own phone and connection in our room. A calender and a few cheap make up things (not that I ever wore it back then but I think because of bad skin she wanted it for me lol)

My birthday is 9 days after Xmas so I would only ever get like 1 birthday pressent.

I dont think I spoil my children as such, because they choose toys before xmas that they want to donate so we dont get a huge mess. Plus their toys get packed away and they only play with a few things each week.
    My 4 year old understands the value of money and knows that I cant always buy him things because I have no spare money. However, Xmas at our house is all from santa (apart from this year we are building them a fort from us) So santa doesnt have to worry about money lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a side note, every christmas I remember our stockings being my dads old smelly socks with a huge mango at the bottom and it filled with mixed nuts. lol So we never did gifts in stockings.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We received a lot. We went on lots of overseas holidays and received lots of presents at Xmas and birthdays.

I'm not demanding or spoilt in the slightest. I rarely buy things for myself. I only get my hair done if DH books me an appointment as a surprise. I never buy jewellery or perfume or anything like that. I use the same handbag for ages. When I was pregnant with DS, my DH bought me a voucher to have a pregnancy massage, facial etc and I burst into tears because he had spent so much...we could easily afford it at the time, I just don't like a lot being spent on me.

On the other hand, DH's family were dirt poor (he slept in a drawer on the floor for the first 6 months of his life, as a makeshift cradle). They struggled to buy food, so on special occasions he received just one small present and sometimes none. These days though, he is a full blown spendthrift - it's like he's making up for lost time. He loves buying himself new clothes, cologne etc. He loves buying himself chocolate etc because he never had that growing up. He spends money willy nilly and he's pretty spoilt.

I found those comments in the other thread amusing, because it really can go either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I found those comments in the other thread amusing, because it really can go either way.
    Agreed. Being a spoilt brat depends on several factors. But it's been interesting in this thread to see a mixture of experiences, but most of the people who were poor as kids may not go crazy but certainly want more for their kids.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agreed. Being a spoilt brat depends on several factors. But it's been interesting in this thread to see a mixture of experiences, but most of the people who were poor as kids may not go crazy but certainly want more for their kids.
    Just because your spoilt as a child doesnt mean you will spoil your child. Like you said it really can go both ways. It really depends. I might spend a lot but I dont go and buy a credit card. I have none and I spend what I can afford if thats a lot then thats great if not, its no big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We received a lot. We went on lots of overseas holidays and received lots of presents at Xmas and birthdays.

I'm not demanding or spoilt in the slightest. I rarely buy things for myself. I only get my hair done if DH books me an appointment as a surprise. I never buy jewellery or perfume or anything like that. I use the same handbag for ages. When I was pregnant with DS, my DH bought me a voucher to have a pregnancy massage, facial etc and I burst into tears because he had spent so much...we could easily afford it at the time, I just don't like a lot being spent on me.
    This is me. Exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews

On the other hand, DH's family were dirt poor (he slept in a drawer on the floor for the first 6 months of his life, as a makeshift cradle). They struggled to buy food, so on special occasions he received just one small present and sometimes none. These days though, he is a full blown spendthrift - it's like he's making up for lost time. He loves buying himself new clothes, cologne etc. He loves buying himself chocolate etc because he never had that growing up. He spends money willy nilly and he's pretty spoilt.

This is me too.

Mum has always said that I never ever asked for anything as a child or teenager. I was just content. I'm still the same.