+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default iPad or Leappad?

Just looked on eBay and they looked much more - maybe I was looking at the option with wifi - is that price for without wifi? (Prob can get away without wifi for a child)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We bought a Leap Pad for DS - massive waste of money. The actual device was $165 (on special) but the games on top of it are soooo expensive! We got a couple for $15 each, but the ones we wanted were over $30 each. The game graphics are crappy and the screen isn't the best quality. We specifically bought it for a long plane trip we were about to take, but we ended up selling it on Ebay and just let him play on our iPad.

The kids apps on the iPad/iPod are *amazing*, very good quality, educational and cheap! Heaps of them are even free (the Play School app is free and it's awesome!) or $1.99.

He now has an iPod touch (it was a gift from his Uncle) which he uses every now and then...mostly while we are waiting at appointments and for long car trips. It doesn't have internet on it, I just download the games online and then sync it. I would probably suggest an iPod Touch over an iPad or iPad Mini.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPad or Leappad?

Yep I also bought ds a leappad and regret it. Waste of money. iPad is def the way to go

Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPad or Leappad?

I looked st leap pads recently In store and definitely had the impression it would be a waste of money. I might actually get refurbished iPad from ebay

Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPad or Leappad?

It is the iPads with wifi that are heaps expensive. My iPhone 5 is costing me a lot more than my iPad did. My iPad I think is an iPad 2? 16gig without wifi. I use it at home and just hook it up to my wifi. If I had to choose between the 2 I'd go iPad, there are tons of free drawing apps and stuff on iTunes, it is just a matter of searching for them. The paid apps on there are relatively cheap as well, heaps cheaper than leap pad stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default iPad or Leappad?

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Just looked on eBay and they looked much more - maybe I was looking at the option with wifi - is that price for without wifi? (Prob can get away without wifi for a child)
    The iPads with cellular so they can take a sim card for data are far more expensive but the basic 16gb iPad mini with wifi is $364.
    Even the iPad 2 is more expensive then the mini. It is a great size for kids and I jumped on eBay and got flip cases to keep them protected for $10

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default iPad or Leappad?

We have both and I would recommend the iPad over the LeapPad, hands down. There are two big negatives that aren't immediately apparent with the LeapPad.

The first is the cost of the apps; unlike the iPad, there are no free apps you can download (except the couple it comes with) and they are very expensive, usually $10-$15 each. The other point here is that while these expensive apps are generally very good, the selection is quite limited, nothing like the Apple app store!

The second negative is the batteries; the LeapPad is not rechargeable, and this oversight means you're replacing batteries constantly. We use rechargeable but it's still a PITA.

If initial outlay is an issue, check out the iPad mini. The non-3G version is priced from $369

ETA The iPad also has another huge advantage... You can use it too! There's no BubHub app for the LeapPad
    Last edited by lambjam; 17-11-2012 at 19:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default iPad or Leappad?

I've got a leap pad but much prefer the iPad for my kids. You can also buy ipdad cases designed for kids. With like a plastic shield over the front so it's 100% protected and they are decorated like kids cases etc (from your local your local toy store abd bigW)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPad or Leappad?

There is a new one out called a Meep, it's a children tablet and they are $199. It looks great on the add on tv and it has a silicon case built onto it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPad or Leappad?

We have the original leap pad and while our 3yo DD1 does enjoy playing on it she would much prefer to play on 'her' iPhone (it's DH's old iPhone with an inactive sim card in it).

Both are only a 'sometimes' toy. She doesn't have access to either without our permission.

The games on the leap pad are great but very expensive, downloaded games are $10 and up. The cartridges are approx $35 each! The leap pad is good for tracking your child's progress if you're interested in seeing what their spelling/counting/problem solving skills are like. You can also customise some games to suit your childs age (simple 3 letter word spelling for DD, as an example, when she gets better at it we can change to 4/5/6 letter words). The screen resolution is ordinary, the camera is quite slow and poor DD has found it quite difficult to take a clear photo on it.

Her iPhone has a tonne of free apps on it, the range is huge! There are some great educational ones but she has a few fluff ones on it too like paper dolls and silly ones that repeat her voice and stuff. She loves taking photos on it. DH and I always have a giggle when we look through her photos

She can turn into a bit of a monster when it's time to switch off. We really need to monitor her usage, other than that I'd say either a iPad or iPod touch (or see how much to get your old iPhone's screen fixed!)