+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The biggest moment for me was watching that midwifes expression. Stressful! Also, on the homebirth idea, I would also love the idea of having one and was supposed to have one with my first. Unfortunately she got sick the weekend I went into labour and I had to go to the hospital, but lucky I did as I had a major haemorrhage after DS was born needing surgery...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default One born every minute?!

Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I didn't watch the episode. But I feel a bit traumatised just reading about it! Did they say why an emergency c section wasn't done after the forceps failed?

After my son was delivered via vacuum, the state of his head made me wonder if a c section would have been a better option. Plus he has had months of physio to correct neck issues caused by the vacuum
    The forceps got the baby's head out but the baby's shoulders got stuck. So things went wrong once the baby's head was already out of the vagina. a c sect would have been impossible and taken too long.
    I think it the baby was that far back then perhaps they should have done a c section instead of the forceps to start with. But I'm still not sure why the baby has to come out right then. I know she had been pushing for ages but maybe they could have got her to change positions or something. I don't know I'm not medically trained and I guess it's hard to know what the camera might have cut out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    The forceps got the baby's head out but the baby's shoulders got stuck. So things went wrong once the baby's head was already out of the vagina. a c sect would have been impossible and taken too long.
    I think it the baby was that far back then perhaps they should have done a c section instead of the forceps to start with. But I'm still not sure why the baby has to come out right then. I know she had been pushing for ages but maybe they could have got her to change positions or something. I don't know I'm not medically trained and I guess it's hard to know what the camera might have cut out.
    Thank you. That sounds just horrific

Thanks
    Reviews

What position was the baby in? My last bub was big at 10lb and her shoulders didn't turn as they should have after the head was born. So she got a bit of shoulder dystocia. Thankfully my ob was able to manipulate her out without any damage to her or me.
    I guess my point is that sometimes it isn't just the size, but the exact position of the head etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Out of curiosity is there a certain distance you have to live from the hospital to qualify for a home birth? Or can you just have one anywhere? When I had my DS he got stuck when his head was crowning, he absolutely wouldn't budge, so they had to rush me in for emergency episiotomy and forceps. He was also starting to show signs of distress. I just think if I had been having a home birth and had to then call an ambulance, get to hospital, get to theatre, that would take a good half an hour even if you didn't live far from the hospital, but much longer if you lived say half an hour away. The baby could die unnecessarily. I know most home births go smoothly, and if I could guarantee nothing would go wrong I would think its a great idea, but after stories like on one born every minute and my birth i would only feel comfortable being in hospital I think! Hospitals do have high intervention rates though which I understand is why a lot of women choose home births, both have positives and negatives.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh my goodness!!! DH and I are trying for our first and he got up and walked away as he thought that baby had passed away he couldn't watch it - it was very upsetting episode! I have told him that my mum might have to come to hospital just incase hahaha that poor lady and DH - I couldn't imagine going through that!! Good episode to open your eyes that things do go wrong

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews

My DD2 had shoulder dystocia. Her body was delivered 5 minutes after her head. It is a horrible position to be in. The midwives stop treating you, they basically act like you don't exist and just do what they need to for bub. Luckily I escaped without any major tears and DD only had slight nerve damage that healed in the first few months. I was pressured into a c-section with DD3 and I had so much regret in that. Until this episode. Seeing that brought up all the emotions from DD2's birth and I am now at peace with "my" decision for a c/s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Out of curiosity is there a certain distance you have to live from the hospital to qualify for a home birth? Or can you just have one anywhere? When I had my DS he got stuck when his head was crowning, he absolutely wouldn't budge, so they had to rush me in for emergency episiotomy and forceps. He was also starting to show signs of distress. I just think if I had been having a home birth and had to then call an ambulance, get to hospital, get to theatre, that would take a good half an hour even if you didn't live far from the hospital, but much longer if you lived say half an hour away. The baby could die unnecessarily. I know most home births go smoothly, and if I could guarantee nothing would go wrong I would think its a great idea, but after stories like on one born every minute and my birth i would only feel comfortable being in hospital I think! Hospitals do have high intervention rates though which I understand is why a lot of women choose home births, both have positives and negatives.
    I'm not sure what you mean by qualify? It's up to the mother/parents and the independent midwife, I suppose, to decide what they are comfortable with. However as Australia is such a vast country many people birth at home without being in close proximity to a hospital. I myself was about 45 minutes. However knowing that it would take that long to get prepped for surgery in hospital anyway, and also that having one to one midwifery care my entire pregnancy and birth tends to allow the midwife and yourself to recognize potential issues before problem stage - meant I was entirely happy with that distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This episode left me a blubbering mess
    i have realised now, after watching it, I have not come to terms with the traumatic birth of my DS 5 months ago at 32 weeks gestation.
    I felt every second of that mothers terror, I know the feeling too well of not knowing if your baby is alive or not. I thought I was ok but this opened up an emotional wound that seems to still be very raw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I had a severe shoulder dystocia birth with my first- that episode was like a flashback. My DD was x-rayed for a broken collarbone which was ok, but she suffered nerve damage that meant she couldn't move one of her arms for months. It was only when she was 18 months old and we found out she wouldn't need surgery that we could breathe a sigh of relief.
    Good news is that she is perfectly fine now and I did go on to have two more vaginal births with no problems.