+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default One born every minute?!

I watched and balled as well. I'm silly and put myself in these situations though when watching tv!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also I'm pretty sure that the transverse lie and shoulder dystocia only occurred after the attempted forceps delivery - that's what the Ob said, anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Anything that happens in hospital in that split moment can happen at home as a way of preventing a shoulder dystocia. Homebirthers have a qualified midwife in attendance just like happens in hospital. Often the hospital environment can cause the situation too....
    Yes I'm sure there are many instances where hospitals make unnecessary decisions, absolutely. In this episode though, the OB called in needed the help of an extra 2-3 sets of hands in those final stressful moments - something you wouldn't have at home.

BUT as I said earlier, I meant no disrespect by my comments and I'm sorry if they have come across in a negative way. I personally feel more safe at hospital, but can understand why others don't.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I watched that one too and had my hand over my mouth for most of it, just shocked and scared for them. What I found most confronting was how hard she was pulling with the forceps and the baby was barely even moving. Holy cow!! That was insane!!!
    DP and I were on the edge of our seat and he said "is the baby alive still?" and the only saving grace for me was I said "surely they wouldnt televise it if it ended like that".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the only reason I kept it on was for closure - I just *had* to hear that baby cry On the other hand, watching it made me appreciate straight-forward plain old very painful but no surprises vaginal birth. I feel blessed to have had one.

Thanks
    Reviews

I too was shocked watching the obs arms shake from pulling with such force with forceps. And it all seemed so rough. I can't imagine how painful the recovery would have been for mum after that either.
    When I had my emergency c section though DH said they were really rough, just did what they needed to get DD out. No wonder it hurt so much afterward.
    But I was also wondering too if it was really necessary to deliver that baby with forceps at that time when bub still needed to come down further. They had a monitor on mum and bub didn't seem to be distressed.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I can't imagine how painful the recovery would have been for mum after that either.
    I said to DP "sure, its all numb down there now but she is going to be in a world of hurt once she gets feeling back". Poor thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: One born every minute?!

My poor dp was beside himself when they broke the baby's clavicle. I think he's slightly relieved that I have to have a c section.

My dd was posterior and got really really stuck. I remember the ob using a vontuse that just popped off her head.

I felt really bad for mum, dad and bub.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    I think the problem was more that the baby was over 10 pound and too big for her to safely birth. She did seem hurried along at times but the main problem was the positioning and size of the bub.
    Babies can definitely be safely birthed over 10lbs I recently gave birth to my son who was 11lbs 3oz - no tearing, no forceps. He came out as easily as his brothers and sisters

That episode was quite horrific, it was very hard to watch. I'm pretty sure she was induced, but could be wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't watch the episode. But I feel a bit traumatised just reading about it! Did they say why an emergency c section wasn't done after the forceps failed?

After my son was delivered via vacuum, the state of his head made me wonder if a c section would have been a better option. Plus he has had months of physio to correct neck issues caused by the vacuum