+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Going private through Canberra Hospital

Has anyone gone through Canberra Hospital as a private patient?

I can't really seem to find any information.

I have a private obstetrician but as i'm high risk (early onset high blood pressure) she said i probably can't go to John James because they won't have the care i need there.

I know Canberra hospital is pretty bad at kicking you out as soon soon as you've given birth and given we're paying more than 4K out of pocket and i do have full private health insurance, i'd like my own room. But I'm not really sure how that works.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I can't really help you with the private patient bit, I had my bub at the Canberra Hospital, had a caesarean because bub was breech. I honestly have nothing bad praise for the hospital and staff, my experience was fantastic.

This is only my opinion but I don't think I'd do the private thing, the people who really look after you are the midwives, you'll get the same treatment whether you are a public or a private patient. You need to do what you feel comfortable and happy with.
    Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to punky For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

I guess I've just heard some horror stories one friend of mine was kicked out 8 hrs after giving birth and she had a massive bleed. And another good friend was left waiting for hours for stitches after an episiotomy. That was just in the last few months. I figure though I just want my own dr looking after me (to know my history) so as long as I have that I should be fine. I have heard that the midwives are wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi I went public in canberra hospital having my first baby in a new country as I'm not from australia & I had a great experience..the midwives were brilliant.i only stayed in hospital 12 hrs after giving birth as I had no complications & didn't need any stitches..bleeding was heavy but normal.the room I was in only had one other bed & I had total privacy. I've never went private apart from years ago having tonsils removed & I know it's diff to having a baby but I don't see any difference in public/private except the cost obviously hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Curious as to why they say JJ might not have the care you require? Are they expecting you to deliver prior to 34 weeks?

Is Calvary Bruce an option with your OB?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CottonCandy View Post
    Curious as to why they say JJ might not have the care you require? Are they expecting you to deliver prior to 34 weeks?

Is Calvary Bruce an option with your OB?
    I have early onset high blood pressure, so my dr says i might only make it to 28-30 weeks (which sucks!) if it goes to pre eclampsia which its already heading towards. My Obgyn said i need to be at Canberra because they have better facilities and that i might be in the fetal medicine unit on bed rest for the last month or two. They're pretty much said ill be lucky to make it to 34 weeks.

I really had my heart set on JJ but i guess i just won't be able to go there. Canberra will be fine, i guess i just thought it sucks paying all that money for my obgyn (because i have to because I'm high risk) and then not getting the option of my own room. I'll live though, have to do whats best for the baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Oh you poor love. Sorry to hear that!

It's hard to come to terms with all the $$$ for an OB, but you have done the very best you can for bubba so far and I have heard excellent things of TCH.

All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much ladies for all your responses, really appreciate it.

Laydeebug, that pretty much sounds like most people i know how have gone through the new building recently. That really sucks that you have had such horrible experience my good friend gave birth 6 weeks early and it was pretty traumatic and she had to share a room with a smoker (no offence to smokers) but this woman kept going downstairs every hour and came back reeking of cigarette smoke and my friend was pretty sure here partner was a drug addict and was shooting up in the shared bathroom. All this while her baby was in the NICU so vert traumatic!

I'm also not so concerned about the cost but i'm already paying at least 4k probably more by the end for my obstetrician so i was kind of hoping to have my own room. From what i've heard though, there are hardly any nurses or even enough beds so thats not going to happen. I just wondered if its different if you are a private patient if its any different , but sounds like it isn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just thought I'd jump in here and ask for more opinions. I cant find any info on the new hos for women and children, apart from second hand stories of bad experiences. I'm wondering if anyone would care to expand on their experiences private, public, at which hos, what obs etc. I may be considered high risk (age and pre-existing health condition) so I'm possibly needing to go for an obstetrician. Really appreciate any further thoughs on any of the above