Gynea is separate to pregnancy and birth. If youhave an insurance with min benefits/exclusions/inclusions/restricted benefits etc you can ask your specialist what item numbers they would anticipate if they had to do the surgery. Check with the fund using those item numbers, since it's the item numbers that triggers the category/level of cover.
Sadly,.although extras is the one you'll see more consultant return from, you're going to need a hosp cover with $500 excess or less to get exemption.
Remember that you can take a couples only cover for now (can be cheaper), but once baby is born they will also need to have their name on the policy or you'll loose your exemption. It might be worth the extra $10-$50 a month in the lead up to only have to notify of a name and date of birth rather than entire cover review again.
The value of my phi is choice. Tbh i have no intention of going to a private hospital for an emergency. I would go to a public hospital and offer that the hospital can invoice my fund if all the Dr's are still willing to invoice the public schedule rate so i have no out of pocket.
By doing this the hospital actually gets paid more than it would from medicare for the same treatment, so the extra funds go straight to the place of care with minimal administrative costs.
The huge value comes in when something in your care isn't right. Maybe it's a Dr that you're not comfortable with (can anyone say Patel + Bundaberg), or you've been told you or the kids are fine when you just know there us something else going on.
For me so far, it's been waiting periods 6 times over. Laparoscopy where they found tissue attached near my bowel (no wonder it blooming hurt) was a 12 month wait public as my only symptom was pain and only once a month. I got in within one month, twice.
Tonsils, after a3 month wait to get into the specialist and a year and half of constant chronic tonsillitis, and week on week off of antibiotics i got in within two months of appointment.
My sons grommets, tonsils and adenoids... Well lets just say his development was already bring significantly stunted before the oops. He had gone from 12 kilos to 8 in the month before the first OP. Waiting 6 months to a year in the public system could have been devastating.
And now I'm hoping i don't have to use it again ever. I would much rather forking out money and not having to use it. A little like my car insurance. I wouldn't want to go write off my car every 5 to 10 years just to see some value...
It's about peace of mine and being there just in case.
Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect