+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Worried my 14 m old isn't eating enough...any advice?

Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice or thoughts on what to do with a 14mth old who doesn't eat a lot. I'm worried that he's not eating enough and then I worry that I'm worrying too much!

We have done BLW and he's happy try anything but the actual amount consumed is minimal and actually hasn't increased a lot since we introduced solids.

For example his intake today was:
    2 tsp weetbix/milk/yoghurt
    1/4 of a pumpkin scone
    1 stick of cheese
    1 slice of apple
    10 blueberries
    1 forkful of salmon

He also has boob 3 x a day when I'm home - 2 x a day when I'm at work (we night weaned 2 weeks ago - I was hoping his appetite might increase with no milk overnight but it didn't make a difference).

I know food before one is for fun but we are past that point and I worry that he's not getting enough protein/folate etc....

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Is he still putting on weight - always been in a healthy range?

Some toddlers are just not big eaters - I would keep offering food, 3 meals plus 2 snacks and before milk and keep trying a wide variety and stick with BLW, have you tried egg or peanut butter ?

I also would recommend fish oil and a pro biotic daily plus add things like chia seeds and backstrap molasses ( good iron sources) to his food and buy some flax seed oil to put on his veggies

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Elijah's Mum. I was hoping you'ld reply - I have read many of your replies to other posts and love all your food ideas - many of which I've incorporated into our meals - so another big thanks for that

His weighs 11kg which is about 50th percentile. He's not losing weight but not gaining much either.

He has had eggs/ peanuts etc. we do scrambled eggs quite often and he does like almond butter so I often do that on rice cakes.

Ive got probiotics for him. I just struggle getting them into him! I will get some Chia today and add that to our meals. I've never seen the molasses - is that from a health food shop?

I will keep offering 3 meals and snacks and just keep an eye on his weight.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Thanks Elijah's Mum. I was hoping you'ld reply - I have read many of your replies to other posts and love all your food ideas - many of which I've incorporated into our meals - so another big thanks for that

His weighs 11kg which is about 50th percentile. He's not losing weight but not gaining much either.

He has had eggs/ peanuts etc. we do scrambled eggs quite often and he does like almond butter so I often do that on rice cakes.

Ive got probiotics for him. I just struggle getting them into him! I will get some Chia today and add that to our meals. I've never seen the molasses - is that from a health food shop?

I will keep offering 3 meals and snacks and just keep an eye on his weight.

Thanks
    Yep back strap molasses you can find in the health food or organic shops, I brush it over roast veg or meat or put it in cookies , really great source of iron and calcium

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    My bub is nearly 8 months and we have been doing BLW since 6 months and BF about 5 times a day. I also worry about the amount she is eating, some days it seems like nothing at all. She loves her fruit & veg though but not so keen on meat so am concerned about her iron and B12 intake (as us breastfeeding mums do cause they seem to scare you about iron deficiency after 6mths!!).

Am hoping the lovely experienced mums here have any ideas about good foods for iron...cooking ideas etc.
    Elijahs mum - am interested in the blackstrap molasses, how much do you need to add to food? which foods can add to? (was thinking a bit in some yoghurt?)

thanks for your help
    YY

Thanks
    Reviews

Firstly most babies around 7-9 months don't really like red meat , I think it's a textural thing maybe?
    My DS would eat fish, seafood or any poultry but not so keen on red meat until he was about 1
    As breast milk /formula is still the main source of nutrients until 12 months most babies are ok with their iron and B12 sources but I found these to be the best ones;

Salmon, any white fish, crab, are great sources of b12 as well as eggs and dairy

Iron is easily found in fish, poultry ( duck is a good source) lentils, quinoa, spinach, most veggies and backstrap molasses

I brush molasses on his roast veggies and meats plus put it in cookies!

I also add spinach to everything ( eggs, pastas, stirfry, curry) and use quinoa ( good protein and iron) instead of rice

I think the push to drink cows milk is a big cause if low iron in toddlers ( dairy inhibits iron absorption ) so if you do give your child milk don't give it with meals plus iron needs vitamin c to aid absorption so adding vitamin c rich foods to meals is important ( capsicum, broccoli, peas - anything green!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks elijahs mum for your reply, some good tips there. We are not big fish eaters but she eats a little bit of meatballs. Its hard knowing how much they need especially when it seems like so little sometimes, am finding its one of the hard things about BLW to just let go and trust bub to take whatever their bodies need.

can i just clarify something: is it BACKstrap or BLACKstrap molasses, i'm going to try and get some today from health shop?

thanks again
    cheers
    YY

Thanks
    Reviews

It's Black strap! I just noticed I typed back!!
    I use the organic melrose brand

Thanks
    Reviews
    ha ha yeah was wondering if it had anything to do with meat loin!!
    Thanks for your help, will look for that brand.

Thanks
    Reviews

I ended up finding the black strap molasses at our local health food store. I brushed it on veges as suggested - DS loved it! Will try doing some baking with it next - thanks for all the suggestions Elijah's Mum