+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Polyester Blankets?

I'm wondering if any of you use polyester blankets for your babies? I've received a few polyester blankets and outfits as gifts for my LO who will be born in Qld summer, but I've never really used polyester myself, I find natural fibers like cotton much more comfortable. Would you use polyester for a newborn? I don't want to offend the gift givers but I'm thinking it might be better and more comfy for bubs if I just pack those gifts in the back of the closet, what do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only use cotton sheets and blankets. The only polyester we have used for DS is the filling of the 2.5 tog grobag he is in for winter. I find polyester to be a bit sweaty in the summer, so wouldn't use it for ds then.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Polyester Blankets?

Nope! Bamboo or cotton sheets all the way for bubs. They breathe as they are thin and natural.

God forbid if ever your bub got caught under a blanket, polyester is too thick and not breathable and for a QLD Sumer wouldn't be safe IMO.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh no, yuck. DD has a couple that are her friends that she carts around and she tries to tuck me in with them - it is awful. On our coldest nights here in brisbane I might put one over her wool blanket but never with just a sheet. In summer she will have a cotton sheet and for a cooler night a cotton cellular blanket if it is cooler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think they would be ok for day naps and pram when out and about. I have used it for ds on the bed as a surface to sleep on during winter bc they dont have the cold feeling of cotton sheets. I wouldnt use them as a blanket at night however bc i do find polyester overheats after a while and gets uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have some listed on eBay as we speak, I feel really bad coz they were a gift, but just can't bring myself to use them. If they don't sell I'll take them to Vinnies. I also took some back that we're given to me. Again, felt awful, but I much prefer natural fibres, especially in summer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I think they would be ok for day naps and pram when out and about. I have used it for ds on the bed as a surface to sleep on during winter bc they dont have the cold feeling of cotton sheets. I wouldnt use them as a blanket at night however bc i do find polyester overheats after a while and gets uncomfortable.
    Even as a bottom layer makes me feel all overheated just thinking about it. I love flannelette sheets, they are still breathable but not cold to the touch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I have some listed on eBay as we speak, I feel really bad coz they were a gift, but just can't bring myself to use them. If they don't sell I'll take them to Vinnies. I also took some back that we're given to me. Again, felt awful, but I much prefer natural fibres, especially in summer.
    This is exactly how I feel, really don't want to offend anyone but I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to use them. Thanks for all the replies, I don't feel so awful now! I'll probably just store them for a while then gradually offload them somehow. I get that people are being kind and generous but just the thought of polyester in the Qld heat makes me feel hot and sweaty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    the thought of polyester in the Qld heat makes me feel hot and sweaty!
    Polyester in the qld heat makes me angry . I actually get really irritable if I am in close contact with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They would be an increased fire risk, wouldn't they?