+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is the reasoning behind paeds etc recommending starting solids so early (8-12 weeks) and why do they specifically say rice cereal? Surely a home made puree of vegetables or even your own grain/rice puree if that's what you want to feed them, would be better than stuff out of a box?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    What is the reasoning behind paeds etc recommending starting solids so early (8-12 weeks) and why do they specifically say rice cereal? Surely a home made puree of vegetables or even your own grain/rice puree if that's what you want to feed them, would be better than stuff out of a box?
    I think they are now thinking that the withholding if solids till 6 months was one of the reasons the incidence off food allergies is increasing. As far as I know they are also recommending introducing as many foods as you can before 6 months. So eggs, peanuts and other allergens as early as possible. That's what my friends have been advised by the paed allergist (they have older kids with severe allergies).
    I agree with you re farex, I don't see any reason why you can't give other food instead. I've always done baby led weaning so no rice cereal here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Farex

But I thought they recommended starting at 4 months, not 8 weeks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Farex

Like adults every baby is different and some babies are just fast growers and breast milk and formula is sometimes just not enough to fill them up. My older 2 were started early just like this little one and I really can't see that it has done any harm. We always started on rice cereal just to get their digestive systems used to solids then have always moved onto fresh fruits or vegetables purred with their formula and I truly believe that is why my older children love there fruits and vegetables. You all might see me as a bad mother for having my little one on farex at 13 weeks but unless you know my family, my baby and my situation I don't think you have the right to judge just as I don't have the right to judge any of you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

So what IS the deal? Is it 4 months or 6?

I was going to compromise and start at 5 months, but, I wanted to do blw. Can I do blw before 6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    4 months is the general recommendation but 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding. So reading between the lines I think 4 months is for FF babies.
    You can do BLW from whenever your baby picks up the food unaided and puts it in their mouth- the baby leads the way, instead of the parent.
    I used to give formula occassionally, but DS hasn't had any at all in over a month. Does that change things? He's 4 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Farex

With BLW they need to be able to sit unaided, lose the tongue reflex and hold food, this is normally at 6 months
    Which is the recommendation as their gut is also not ready before that

From 6 months all food is now recommended , before parents were told to wait until 1 and sometimes 2 years old before introducing nuts, seafood etc but this seemed to lead to an increase in allergies but definitely not before 6 months

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithUnagi View Post
    I used to give formula occassionally, but DS hasn't had any at all in over a month. Does that change things? He's 4 months.
    No , the current Australian recommendation which will be released in January ( same as WHO) is exclusive breast-milk or formula until 6 months

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post

I think there are a lot of parents out there who think they're experts
    Hmmmm, ....possibly but I have to say that there are many Hubbers who do hours and hours of research and whose opinions I do value, simply because their knowledge (about the gut for instance) is huge.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (25-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (25-11-2012),wrena  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

I found this article and I'm all kinds of confused: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...es-scientists?

"Six months of breastmilk alone is too long and could harm babies, scientists now say

Fresh review of evidence contradicts WHO breastfeeding guidance leaving campaigners outraged and mothers baffled"