+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    He already feeds 180mls of formula every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and he keeps watching when we eat very closely, his Dr said as long as it is made runny enough it wouldn't be a problem I was just wondering when everyone else was starting.
    Have you tried upping the volume of formula first? At that when my bub was drinking a bottle of ebm per day it was 220-240mls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Farex

We tried to up the formula but he would fall asleep before he finished then wake up screaming 2 hours later for more and I mentioned to the Dr and she suggested it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Farex

I was starting a general conversation as this topic has come up in my mothers group quiet often, my Dr recommended it as bub is constantly hungry and screaming for food it was getting to the point of what felt like he never stopped so she suggested introducing farex at 13 weeks rather then 16 weeks
    So did your doctor say introduce rice cereal only as a temp measure to fill up bub? And not bother with other foods yet?

I'm curious: was your bub premmie or overdue?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    6 months, farex and everything and anything mashed up. The whole hype of blw isnt for me, I like to sit down, feed baby and know she has eaten it - I dont have all day to watch her suck a carrot stick to just throw it on the ground. DD1 same food but started at 4 months, didnt harm her at all.
    Go with your instinct and medical advice.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    That is exactly right my instinct is telling me he is ready and fine but I think my post natal anxiety has me questioning everything I do but the fact that it never harmed my other 2 children or any other child I know and my Dr has said it is ok makes me think it is fine.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave DS1 mushed up cardboard...err farex...when he was 4 months old, at the advice of a GP.

With my second child, I was a little more informed and skipped the farex altogether...there are less and less professionals recommending it nowadays, as it has limited, if any, nutritional value, it's highly processed and it doesn't really serve a purpose in terms of food discovery. Not to mention that it taste like complete shyte.

Instead, I gave DS2 sticks of sweet potato, avocado, overripe pear, banana and mango seeds to gnaw on.

The 'right' age depends entirely on the child, if they are physically ready, i.e.: able to sit up, good head/neck control, absence of extrusion reflex (tongue thrusting), development of the pincer grip and showing an interest in food (DS2 would watch me eat, watch my food go from hand to mouth and then reach out for some himself)

After I trialled DS1 with farex, it became really evident that he actually wasn't ready, despite being the 'recommended' age. He didn't show a real interest in eating solids until he was about 10 months old (which is just as normal )

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (17-11-2012),PR2bMum  (17-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Farex

We tried to up the formula but he would fall asleep before he finished then wake up screaming 2 hours later for more and I mentioned to the Dr and she suggested it
    Did the doctor suggest methods of keeping bub awake during feeds?

Sorry for the questions. In the end all you can do is rely on your doctor after all they have seen your child and assessed their medical condition, should be abreast of current medical research etc

How is bub doing on the farex?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So did your doctor say introduce rice cereal only as a temp measure to fill up bub? And not bother with other foods yet?

I'm curious: was your bub premmie or overdue?
    He started out as a weak feeder but the took off and we haven't been able to keep up so she said start him on the cereal earlier to help fill him up a bit more so that is what we have done. Our other kids were the same but they started earlier and like I said my post natal anxiety had me questioning everything which us probably why I waited for the Dr to tell me to do it rather then just go ahead and do it myself

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did the doctor suggest methods of keeping bub awake during feeds?

Sorry for the questions. In the end all you can do is rely on your doctor after all they have seen your child and assessed their medical condition, should be abreast of current medical research etc

How is bub doing on the farex?
    Once he is out he is out until he is hungry again so the farex was her only suggestion we aren't going to introduce the other baby food until closer to 4 months but he loves the farex has no problem with digestion or with the spoon feeding he is eating it like a champ

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...t=#post6903795

Here is the other thread OP, lots of different answers in here which may put your mind at ease if it is causing you anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Farex

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you do BLW you won't need the raffertys ! Just bring a banana or cucumber sticks , sliced avocado or rice cakes - its so easy to feed a BLW baby when you are out and by 7 ish months they eat what you do !
    Thanks! Will do!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast