+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What is internal exam like?

I'm due to have an induction in about a week. My ob is going to do a check to see if my body is favorable for it... I know this means an internal check of my cervix... This is my first and I would like to know how long the exam takes etc? Discomfort factor? Is it just like getting a Pap smear?
    (Just wanting to know what to expect!)
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes it's not much different from a Pap smear. But having your waters broken is painful (or was for me).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Unpleasant depending on the position of your cervix and the pressure on it. He will be looking to do a bishops score on you (if you want to google) and may do a stretch and sweep to try and get labour rolling.

Are you taking anything to help ripen and soften your cervix? I recommend Evening Primrose Tablets put in near the cervix before bed every night and even some chiro to make sure everything is in a great position to aid labour
    Very informative!! I'm not doing anything. Lol. He said bubs head is very low 'engaged' if you like. He didn't recommend anything. He didn't mention a stretch an sweep... I think he might've told me he was doing that. I'm going Wednesday, induction is starting Sunday night with gel.
    Evening primrose oil? Just regular ones from chemist??
    I will google bishops score!!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What is internal exam like?

With someone you trust and is respectful of your body and personhood, was a bit physically awkward, feels a lot like a papsmear.... but surprisingly was totally fine with it.

Without that respect and care it's pretty awful.

If you are nervous or how ever you are feeling maybe say so beforehand. Air for yourself how you are feeling and also lets your care provider know you are a person with feelings.

But yeah quite like a papsmear. Breaking waters is weird. The tug & *pop* feeling makes my toes curl just thinking about it..ick.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks boobycino. I do trust him.. He's been amazing as my ob taking on our very complicated case at 24 weeks. I've spent the last two check ups in tears in his office and he's very gentle. He 'warned' me if you like that he would do an internal next week so I guess that's a good thing.
    I know he'll be 'down there' for the birth etc so I have to get comfortable!!! Haha
    It's just good to know what to expect-makes me feel less anxious.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me it depended on who did it. The ob was uncomfortable but I think he did a stretch & sweep as well ( with dd1 ) then other internals with the midwives weren't painful as such, more uncomfortable than anything. Getting my waters Brocken was like a pinching.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thanks boobycino. I do trust him.. He's been amazing as my ob taking on our very complicated case at 24 weeks. I've spent the last two check ups in tears in his office and he's very gentle. He 'warned' me if you like that he would do an internal next week so I guess that's a good thing.
    I know he'll be 'down there' for the birth etc so I have to get comfortable!!! Haha
    It's just good to know what to expect-makes me feel less anxious.
    Honestly I wasn't keen on anyone down there either. I went through most of the pushing with my undies on - yeah. Lol but I was so excited when the mw delicately suggested I remove them.... because obviously it was probably time for a baby to come out.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Honestly I wasn't keen on anyone down there either. I went through most of the pushing with my undies on - yeah. Lol but I was so excited when the mw delicately suggested I remove them.... because obviously it was probably time for a baby to come out.

You've have no idea how comforting it is to hear someone voice this!!! I had a wax today down there for the first time years because I'm very uncomfortable with someone down there poking around. I just keep telling myself this is part of having my baby and they see it all the time!!
    Thank you for your honesty! It's funny because I've packed my swimming tog bottoms and bikini top for the shower at the hospital and thought I might get laughed at for being shy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I found internals fine, actually dont think I felt a thing, except when I was in labour I found them very very painful.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Just the regular ones inserted inside. Don't be concerned when you pee next as there is bound to be oil in the urine. I often popped a light pad on to go to bed (but often did that anyway)
    Thanks. I might check with OB first maybe??? Or that might make it too late to help soften things!!