+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Becoming a landlord

Dp has just recently got a new job and we are all packing up and moving to a small mining town. We own our own home and will be renting it out when we move.

I'm really scared to rent my house out. We have just got it to a point that we are really happy with and I don't want people to live in our house and damage it and kill the gardens.

So what are the dos and don'ts of being a land lord?

Will we get to look through the applicants and choose?
    I have a real estate agent coming out on Monday to look at the house. Any questions I should ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From what I understand.. the real estate agent will narrow it down for you and you choose the one that is right (well you might say no to all of them until they do a couple of inspections). Look for someone who was a good rental record that maybe kept gardens neat?

You could possibly lower the rent cost and put in the application that part of living there involves keeping the gardens up to scratch. (just looking after what's already there).

I'd suggest not allowing pets or anything. I'd honestly just make sure you get someone who has a good rental history and not a newbie or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews

Eal estate agents do all the hard work for you researching tenants. They ring their references ect and put forward the ones they think are more suitable. Most places I have rented in maintaining the gardens has been a part of the lease so you can just make sure the real estate has a high standard for gardens. Also make sure you get loads of pictures of your gardens and inside your house/flooring/blinds ect. Make sure you have a copy and the real estate has a copy so you have physical evidence on the condition your house is in before tenants move in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you have adequate landlord insurance!
    I wouldn't lower the price for looking after the gardens, that should be a given that they would do that. Just have the agent stress how important the state of the garden is.
    We would always drive past a prospective tenant's house and see what it looked like, that isn't failsafe and not always possible, but can give you a good indication of what their standards are (this doesn't always reflect accurately for a number of reasons, but can be worth a drive).

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (18-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you so much! I didn't think of taking photos so will definitely do that! The reason why the gardens worry me is that we have a couple of rentals on our street and the gardens are disgusting so I will make sure the tenants know they have to look after them.

I feel totally blind going into this but have a couple of good points now that will definitely help 😊

I might get our neighbor that we speak to, to keep an eye out and give us a call if he thinks the house isn't been taken care of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

If your worried about the gardens I have some landlords that up the rent a little ($5-10) and they pay a Gardner / lawn mower person to come do them
    You can claim the maintenance, the tenant is usually happier as they don't have to worry about the gardening!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (18-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have recently done the same thing. We have included lawn and garden maintenance in the rental price. A guy will do the lawns every 2-3 weeks and do hedges etc every 4-6 weeks. On the upside it's all a tax deduction and I think worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Most rental agreements state something along the lines of looking after the outdoor areas. However if you want it to stay as you have it then I agree hire a Gardner. We always leave our rentals in great condition (having owned before we are very house proud), however neither of us can garden so sometimes plants die or get a bit overgrown because we are unsure on trimming them properly. no real estates have ever commented on a few missing plants or roughly pruned shrubs. My point is that no matter how lovely your tenants they may not have a green thumb so don't expect it to stay the same.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Becoming a landlord

I was also going to recommend increasing the price and including gardening in the cost, also do not try and do it without landlord insurance! It's so important! Make sure you read through the policy and know what you're covered for - some policies will only cover you if your tenant is in a fixed lease, accidental damage is more important to have than malicious damage.

Keep in mind that even if you have immaculate tenants it will be unlikely that the house will be the same if you move back in and possibly won't feel like home any more.

Ask the property manager to give you an idea of what wear and tear entails, and expect to find that at your house when you move back. It's not that tenants will look after the house worse then an owner occupier, it's just that most wear and tear is done when moving in and out.

http://perilsofpropertymanagement.blogspot.com

I'm a property manager so feel free to PM me with any other questions. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Disbride View Post
    I was also going to recommend increasing the price and including gardening in the cost, also do not try and do it without landlord insurance! It's so important! Make sure you read through the policy and know what you're covered for - some policies will only cover you if your tenant is in a fixed lease, accidental damage is more important to have than malicious damage.

Keep in mind that even if you have immaculate tenants it will be unlikely that the house will be the same if you move back in and possibly won't feel like home any more.

Ask the property manager to give you an idea of what wear and tear entails, and expect to find that at your house when you move back. It's not that tenants will look after the house worse then an owner occupier, it's just that most wear and tear is done when moving in and out.

http://perilsofpropertymanagement.blogspot.com

I'm a property manager so feel free to PM me with any other questions. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub
    Thank you! We will definitely get a gardener in to look after the gardens then. The person we have in mind is also a bit of a handy man so that could come in useful if the tenants need anything done to the house also.

We will definitely get insurance. Can you recommend any good companies to go through?

It's going to be very hard to let go as we have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in to this place. I'm kidding myself if I think it's going to be the same when we come back hopefully just before we return to Perth our house will be worth a bit more and we will be in a position to sell and upgrade to a better block and house.