+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I think i am in a nother world
    Posts
    1,816
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    25
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Budget recipes?

    [QUOTE=DesperatelySeekingSleep;6910254 stop buying so much junk.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub[/QUOTE]

    When you say junk are you saying junk food or expensive brands? Because if it is junk food we don't have a crumb of junk food in this house we may buy a block of chocolate but that lasts us around 3 months.

  2. #22
    HugsBunny's Avatar
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,603
    Thanks
    4,531
    Thanked
    1,966
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Budget recipes?

    Sorry mummy2lilly, I'm confused - who was talking about junk?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    74
    Reviews
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mummy2lilly View Post
    When you say junk are you saying junk food or expensive brands? Because if it is junk food we don't have a crumb of junk food in this house we may buy a block of chocolate but that lasts us around 3 months.
    Subbing. We are a family of four DH, me, DS9 and DS 6mo. Our weekly fruit and veg shop is now costing about $80 and our groceries $150. Meat from the butcher about $150 a fortnight and there's nothing exciting in that bundle. We hardly buy any treats and packaged stuff. Although the Christmas baking is costing me a fortune at the moment.

    We travel to another suburb to buy our meat and veg because our local suburban shops are really expensive. Doing that has cut those costs by about 25%. We eat a lot of f&v and rarely does it go to waste. It's just one of those costs that I won't cut because there's no alternative to fresh f&v. I also find the f&v from the fruit store has a longer shelf life than the same product at the supermarket.

    I agree slow cookers are awesome ... Except on days like today in Brisbane where it's stinking hot and the thought of something hot for dinner is repulsive!

    I think sometimes the cost depends on where you live and what's available. I have done the comparison between what I buy a woolworths and its comparable product at aldi, and for wht we buy, the savings aren't much at all, because we make from scratch with mostly generic brands.
    Last edited by Toomanyboys; 16-11-2012 at 13:13.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    126
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, I would be finding a new butcher. And doing a meal plan. We are a family of 5 and we usually spend less than that per fortnight.

    As pp said look out for things reduced. We just saw our local IGA had BBQ chickens reduced to $5 each yesterday afternoon. So, I bought 2 and froze them in portions for lunches. Normal price is $10 which is much better than paying $15.50 at the chicken shop not far from there and the chickens are about the same size.

    We have quite a few budget meals on our menu the next couple of weeks. Ham steaks are nice just grilled with a slice of pineapple and grated cheese and served with some salad. Our curry chicken is reasonably cheap but quick to make. We did steak sandwiches and salad last night with a piece of veal steak each. DD1 would love Eye Fillet every time we have steak but I wont spend that much all the time. We will also have tuna rissoles one night and homemade hamburgers aren't very expensive with a rissole for the patty.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 16-11-2012 at 13:21.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Re: Budget recipes?

    Quote Originally Posted by mummy2lilly View Post
    When you say junk are you saying junk food or expensive brands? Because if it is junk food we don't have a crumb of junk food in this house we may buy a block of chocolate but that lasts us around 3 months.
    By junk I mean anything from junk food to buying things you don't need. before I started doing lists and taking note of what I actually had I the cupboards before I left I found I was doubling up on things I really didn't need because I don't use them often enough but I had a brain wave at the shops and though I might make this so I need that to make it with when I forgot I already had it at home. Eg five spice or French onion soup mixes.. I discovered that in a big clean up of the pantry so much stuff was out of date or was unuseable because it had been hidden in the back for 4 years. Wasted money because it was essentially junk.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I think i am in a nother world
    Posts
    1,816
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    25
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Sorry mummy2lilly, I'm confused - who was talking about junk?
    Opps its doesnt seem to have quoted correctly, Someone said that i should stop buying junk so i was wondering what sort of junk

    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanyboys View Post
    Subbing. We are a family of four DH, me, DS9 and DS 6mo. Our weekly fruit and veg shop is now costing about $80 and our groceries $150. Meat from the butcher about $150 a fortnight and there's nothing exciting in that bundle. We hardly buy any treats and packaged stuff. Although the Christmas baking is costing me a fortune at the moment.

    We travel to another suburb to buy our meat and veg because our local suburban shops are really expensive. Doing that has cut those costs by about 25%. We eat a lot of f&v and rarely does it go to waste. It's just one of those costs that I won't cut because there's no alternative to fresh f&v. I also find the f&v from the fruit store has a longer shelf life than the same product at the supermarket.

    I agree slow cookers are awesome ... Except on days like today in Brisbane where it's stinking hot and the thought of something hot for dinner is repulsive!

    I think sometimes the cost depends on where you live and what's available. I have done the comparison between what I buy a woolworths and its comparable product at aldi, and for wht we buy, the savings aren't much at all, because we make from scratch with mostly generic brands.
    we have tried different areas around us, We find we save up to 0.30Cents or even up to $3-4 on some products if they have alot of other shops around them but if they dont you can be paying more. We live in a area that has alot of housing estates ( new homes ) being built by the dozen and someone at Df's work as he works for the council had told him to watch the food and petrol prices around here because as the area gets bigger the more the prices are going to go up. Ill sit down tonight and do a menu plan and work out the total cost if i did it all just at aldi. I have noticed to Aldi is only good to go shopping some days as they dont keep all their items up to stock which means needing to spend more at Coles and the like
    Last edited by mummy2lilly; 16-11-2012 at 13:54.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I think i am in a nother world
    Posts
    1,816
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    25
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    By junk I mean anything from junk food to buying things you don't need. before I started doing lists and taking note of what I actually had I the cupboards before I left I found I was doubling up on things I really didn't need because I don't use them often enough but I had a brain wave at the shops and though I might make this so I need that to make it with when I forgot I already had it at home. Eg five spice or French onion soup mixes.. I discovered that in a big clean up of the pantry so much stuff was out of date or was unuseable because it had been hidden in the back for 4 years. Wasted money because it was essentially junk.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    Oh, sorry i thought you meant as in i must have been buying just all junk food. Now i understand.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    827
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    433
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Budget recipes?

    Watch where you buy your fruit, veg and meat- our local Coles is situated over 5kms from the nearest fruit and veg or decent butcher therefore their fruit and veg prices are rediculous. If I drive to the large shipping centre up the road (10kms away) the fruit and veg is about a quarter the price at the market there and the Coles next door to it has fruit and veg at least half the price of our local..... Also only buying in season will cut spends hugely.... For 2 adults, 2 kids full time plus 2 kids on weekends only we spend $30 a week at the fruit and veg market and that's with everyone having at least 2 pieces of fruit per day and veg/salad with every meal

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Re: Budget recipes?

    Quote Originally Posted by mummy2lilly View Post
    Oh, sorry i thought you meant as in i must have been buying just all junk food. Now i understand.
    No problem

    Also I find when I use up everything in the fridge, I leave it an extra day to do the shopping. It forces me to be creative with pantry contents and whatever I have hiding in the back of the fridge that is edible still.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. Best Budget Recipes
    By MrsMiggins in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 20-10-2015, 11:36
  2. Budget recipes?
    By ~ElectricPink~ in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 14:32
  3. Please share your most budget friendly family recipes?
    By financialhelpplease in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-02-2012, 18:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!