+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

$50 for a roast
    I buy a cheap roast but cook it in the slow cooker and it turns soooo tender and nice.

Butchers can work out cheaper then Coles sometimes, depends on what you are buying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Budget recipes?

I think we have gone expensive because df's brother is chef in a fine dinning. We have taken his advice with expensive cuts of meat and have got in to the habit of just sticking to them most like due to laziness of changing our menu. It actually really annoys me we spend that much.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

Why do you say half of it gets thrown out and not used? Do you shop with a list or plan your meals?

I don't plan my meals in advance but I shop with a list and find this helps me keep track of what I'm spending before I walk in the door at the supermarket. I do all of my shopping at aldi and only go to another supermarket if aldi doesn't have what I want or if their fruit and veg doesn't look great (cos lets face it, it happens sometimes lol though I've had it happen at other supermarkets too). I go to Coles or woollies for cat food, depending who has it cheaper but woollies have 24 rolls of quilt on toilet paper for $10 every day so that's where I go for that and I stock up on deodorant whenever it's on special so I never have to pay full price. Got it yesterday for $2.50 a can instead of $5+.

Any left overs from main meals get put back in the fridge and eaten for lunch or frozen for a quick meal if needed. Left over boiled potatoes are great when sliced and shallow fried for chips :-) all other vegies can go in a casserole or frittata. We had tacos Monday night and I made a pasta bake out of the left over mince - in a dish in the oven with cheese sauce, pasta shells and a tin of corn lol kids loved it and there was enough left for my lunch the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

It gets thrown out because we are hardly home for lunch, or we forget about it being in the fridge. Or we don't use it because we may try a different recipe with the same cut of meat or we have had a big lunch so have a light dinner. The kids would have something different then what we have had to dinner if it was a big lunch so no point making the kids what we were going to have just for them 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budget recipes?

It's worth it to invest in a slow cooker unless you're already home through the day to put something in the oven on low.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    It's worth it to invest in a slow cooker unless you're already home through the day to put something in the oven on low.
    I agree with the slow cooker. It is a time saver! I also don't think it heats up the house like an oven.

I guess you need to think about what you are willing to compromise on eg expensive cuts of meat or making something as yummy but using a different technique. Or keeping those things for very special occasions.

Home cooking saves a lot of money. Pre-packaged stuff is mostly expensive and usually not as healthy.

A curry done in the slow cooker is just delicious!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by mummy2lilly View Post
    It gets thrown out because we are hardly home for lunch, or we forget about it being in the fridge. Or we don't use it because we may try a different recipe with the same cut of meat or we have had a big lunch so have a light dinner. The kids would have something different then what we have had to dinner if it was a big lunch so no point making the kids what we were going to have just for them 2
    Do you freeze meat? If your fruit and veg are turning too quickly and you're throwing them out then I reckon you need to contact a Tupperware demonstrator and invest in some clear mates and fridge smarts - if you've got the money to spend then get the demonstrator out to do a 'fridge makeover' - they'll assess what you need and explain how to use everything. You'll find you can pre-prep your vegies which will cut down on your cooking time when making stuff from scratch. You'll save money in the long run too because you won't be throwing food out. Heat'n'eats would help you too from Tupperware.

I you've had a big lunch and just wan a small dinner, why not still cook what you had planned and feed it to the kids then freeze the rest for lunches or quick meals?
    Last edited by HugsBunny; 16-11-2012 at 11:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing I did was go through the pantry. It is interesting what you find in there that you can use or that you have a good stock of but you did not realise. I found about 8 packets of jelly crystals so for the next 8 weeks there will be a snack of jelly for an afternoon and I don't have to buy anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (16-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You don't need to be spending such a massive amount on food. A roast should not be costing you $50.

Chicken thigh fillets are usually around $8 a kg at Coles and Woolies. I divide a kg into 3 portions (about 3 thighs each portion) for dinner and freeze. Grab a bulk lot of lean mince from a butcher, they often offer larger purchases at smaller prices, and mince is a pretty cheap meat to get. Go rump steak. Yeah, it's not as lovely as a nice scotch fillet or whatever, but it's cheaper and it will do if you can't afford more. Go to the shops regularly looking for markdowns and buy the meat, take it home, and freeze it immediately. Sausages are usually cheap. Get some basic white fish fillets to save money too. Tins of tuna will probably be useful and cheap as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget recipes?

Gravy beef is cheap for things like a nice hearty stew. Chicken wings are something like $3 a kilo, marinade with garlic, honey and soy, pop in oven serve on a bed of rice with some salad. Yummmm.