+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Biting! This too shall pass?

I love breast feeding my 4 month old DS, who has recently decided biting me is fun! I think he has teething symptoms (no teeth yet) and he's just experimenting but it really hurts! And he gets this determined look when he does it like he's doing it on purpose (of course I don't think he is trying to hurt me though). Does anyone have any tips? Is it a phase? Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews

Not sure how effective it would be at only 4 months but I'd make sharp short "OW" sounds whenever it happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Take him off breast every time he does it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It will pass xx. I found that all mine tended to nip if the weren't super hungry or towards the end of a feed. I remember feeding and watching them like a hawk - butt cheeks clenched in anticipation and when they started to slow down I'd take them off the boob quick smart.

Reacting to them with a noise tended to make them think it was a hilarious game - cheeky buggers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD starting biting about the same age, she is 8 months now and still does it on and off, I find it's usually when she isn't that hungry and more interested in whats going on around her. I do find feeding her in a dark quiet room is better but not always practical. She is also pulling my hair now too, who would have though BF could be so painful.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies. I've been trying not to yell out but he took me by surprise the first time. I don't want to scare him off the boob. I've been taking him off and telling him no biting when he does it, not that I expect he understands

Thanks for the hope, good to hear that it gets better. Gotta love bh for a bit of support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup, take off and say no. First time she did it and she cried - made me feel horrible.

I find that my DD goes through phases and usually bites while she's getting a tooth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    its awful pain I know especially when they nip skin off and takes a week or so to heal. All I can say the stage passes for a month or two and then they try again in my case I'm going through that now. I just yelp and pull him off but now the cheeky bugger laughs... .he is almost 1 though.