+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Made it almost to the end, now everything has gone to ****

I have been blessed (or something) with a really good pregnancy up until now (39 weeks, 4 days). Last week I started to get some funny blood pressure readings on some machines, but when I went to the hospital it was all fine. I had a migraine once last week and once yesterday. My feet are much more swollen and hideous than normal (according to the medicos). All tests for pre-eclampsia came back clear but everyone still thinks there's a problem.

Situation now is that baby is estimated at about 4.2kg, based on a 35 week scan that said 3.1kg at that stage. He will also almost certainly be posterier. He is not engaged at all, cervix is 1/2 to 1cm dilated and has been that way for two weeks. Apparently if my latest blood tests come back bad I'm booked for a cs on Saturday. If they are fine I'm being induced on Monday, but OB thinks that's unlikely to work, so probably looking at a cs on Tuesday instead.

Added to that I was also told today that because I've had a breast reduction I'm unlikely to be able to solely breast feed.

It sounds stupid but I feel bad that I probably can't birth or feed this child. I've kept myself healthy, have stuck religiously to diets, stayed off alcohol throughout the pregnancy etc. Why the hell can't my body just produce the right hormones etc to start labour? I'm frustrated and annoyed and I feel inadequate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You're not inadequate. We can never know what our body is going to do or how our body is going to react. Your body is carrying a baby there is not right or wrong way for it to do this or how you deliver or feed your baby.

What are the blood tests they will be doing - what are they looking for?

You sound a bit like me - god was I swollen, it truly was freaky! I was on the verge of pre-eclampsia from around 35 weeks, hospitalised for a week at 36 and induced at 38 (I ended up having a c-section). Have they said why they would book you in for c -section before trying induction?

Also you wouldn't believe how quickly the fluid goes down - literally within a week I had my ankles back. Fluid retention feels very gross and nasty at the time but it does go back.
    Last edited by babyla; 15-11-2012 at 18:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OH Im so sorry to hear that this has happened. Fingers x that it all works out positively for you, no matter what way this bub gets born.
    The only thing I can actually comment on with experience is that I have had a breast reduction, and while I found it hard to feed my first two babies, I fed my last, exclusively from one breast (I wasnt careful enough to ensure I swapped sides often enough damnit) for two years. It is entirely possible to feed your baby so dont give up for feel down about that until you know for sure that you cant. Everybody is different, just as every pregnancy is different and you dont know what you can do, until you try it.
    Good luck and best wishes for you and please keep us updated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing. I hope everything works out for you the way you want. You are definitely not inadequate.

I just wanted to say that I delivered my beautiful boy just over three weeks ago posterior.

I was not told prior to arriving at the hospital in labour that he was in this position. I laboured on all four in the shower.

While it made for lots of back pain it is possible to deliver a healthy bubs in that position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Made it almost to the end, now everything has gone to ****

You have created a beautiful baby and have managed to get this far you have done well be proud of your achievement if it takes that you need a little helping had to get to the end then so be it... Some people have far less and will never experience what you have be grateful...congrats on a job well done you have done your best ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses ladies. Apparently the blood tests (kidney and liver function) turned out fine so I'll be induced on Monday! Really nervous about the posterior positioning and the size of the baby (although I note what you said about that Nat11, thank you!), but we'll see how we go.

I have a killing headache today so I really hope I don't feel like this on Monday. I still wish my stupid body would just do what it's supposed to do on its own, but my OB says that's unlikely to happen for another couple of weeks, which I don't think is a good idea.

Thanks so much for all your support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies. Well things have changed since I posted this! Went to the hospital on Saturday to have my blood pressure taken again. It came back higher than usual. My OB then found out that I was only 2nd reserve for an induction on the Monday so they decided to start the induction that night.

After warning me that they didn't expect the induction to work and I'd probably need a cs the next day, they inserted the prostaglandin gel. I sent my husband home to sleep and was told my OB was off call until 7am the next morning (not that that mattered since they still needed to break the membranes in the morning for the induction to have any chance of working).

Long story short, my baby boy was born at 6.14 last Sunday morning. OB did not make it, husband barely made it, epidural definitely was not available because he came too fast. OB walked in about 1/2 an hour later looking a bit sheepish. Very much a whirlwind. Happy but a bit bewildered by it all.

Thanks for your support ladies!