+ Reply to Thread
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do u settle ur Newborn?

Hi ladies,

My DS is 5 weeks old and i was wondering how u get ur bubs off to sleep? I am really struggling with DS, he never wants to sleep & we have tried so many different things. When he finally does go to sleep it's usually just a Catnap & he wakes again anywhere from 15mins to 45mins and we have to settle him all over again which can take up to an hour.

Do u hold bubs in ur arms until they r asleep and then put them in their bed, or let them try & settle themselves by crying & then comforting them after a few minutes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

At that age I would just do what it takes in terms of holding/rocking to sleep. I would never leave a baby that young to cry.

Could you also try a baby carrier/sling so you have free hands?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

wrena  (15-11-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I put DD on the boob to settle. She was a catnapper too, it was tough, really really tough. She would only sleep 15-20 mins at a time and even then only if she had a boob in her mouth or at least physical contact with me. Even as a newborn she would often only sleep 2 x 20 mins a day like this. The rest of the time I had to feed her as she fed pretty much permanently for the first 3 to 4 months of her life.

I'm afraid some babies are just catnappers. DS was a catnapper too but at least he slept for about 45 minutes at a time. I used to whinge about that, pfft. I would have done anything to get that much sleep out of DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

At 5 weeks if my girls wouldn't settle i would go through the steps.
    Are they hungry?
    Do they need a new nappy?
    Burp them?
    Re-wrap and put them down with a little pat on the belly.?
    Would repeat this twice and if all else failed I'd put them in the carry harness and go about what I was doing.
    Swings also work wonders. Have you tries using a swing to settle your LO?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't do anything. I fed her, changed her, popped her in her sleeping bag and lay her down in her cot, or in the capsule if I had to go out. That's it. She's the third baby, I don't have time to settle her, I have other children to attend to. If her grizzling increased instead of decreased, I would go in, give her a burp and pop her down again. She is the best baby now (5mo). She is so easy going, but sleeping around screaming kids and school/kinder/sport/dancing trips, I guess she has to be.