+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tandem feeding

I have an 18 month old with no. 2 due in 7 weeks time. I've tried weaning a few times but ds is very attached to feeding so it looks like I'll be feeding both of them.

I would love to hear other peoples experiences with feeding a baby and toddler. All I've really had are negative responses and every single doctor I've seen have all said I have no choice but to wean him before the baby comes. My midwives are all supportive of it, I would really love to find a gp that is supportive too but that doesn't look like it will happen! I know it will cause some issues but I think taking it off him before will only cause bigger issues.

Please tell me your story..good or bad! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tandem feeding

In currently feeding (as in right this minute feeding :P ) my two DD's - 2 1/2 yo and 6mo and it is beyond wonderful! There have been so many benefits, especially the beautiful bond that has formed between both girls when they both nurse at the same time. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or want to chat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunandstars17 For This Useful Post:

LollyDolly  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just curious, how does that work when they say that the breastmilk changes with your child as they grow.
    Would your newborn be getting milk that's designed for a toddler and what about colostrum?
    I'm really interested because it crossed my mind that if we try for no2 now, I could be doing the same thing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

LollyDolly  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tandem feeding

Its so nice to hear something positive! Currently ds brings his baby (a doll) over to me at feeding times to join in so hopefully its a good sign! Although I think there will be some jealousy at first. Did you have any jealousy issues? I may have some questions in 7 weeks time! :-)

I believe your milk changes to benefit the newborn and sometimes the colostrum can upset your toddlers tummy but I'm pretty sure most of my milk is gone and its just colostrum now and I've not had any issues. From what my midwives have told me (one if which is also a lactation consultant) you just continue as normal.

Sorry I can't work out how to quote from my phone!