+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which daycare would u go for. 2 choices

In looking for childcare for next year and went to see 2 locally both different.. Here are the options which would u go for and why..

First one
    Very small baby room maybe 5x7m carers seemed nice but owner seemed a bit of a grump . Have 12 babies in room

Second one was wayyyy bigger. Like 6 times the size in baby room. Carers were older than first one seemed nice too. They have 19 babies at the moment though.
    Both have on site cooks and ds will have his own bed sheets for cot etc. So everything else the same just bigger or smaller.

Second one was very rowdy when i went with lots of older kids in other rooms. First one pretty quiet at the time i went
    What do i do? I like the sound of the firest being smaller but the bigger one i liked the room size and old lady carer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Which daycare would u go for. 2 choices

Go back another day, don't call ahead, just go in and tell them you'd like one more tour. Go with your gut feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Honestly it's such a gut instinct thing but maybe compare things like:

- cleanliness
    - menu
    - ratio of carers (my daycare always has one more than they legally have to in case a bub needs extra attention)
    - outside space
    - activities provided
    - parent communication

Typically I'd prefer a smaller centre but we ended up using a larger one (it's not one of the big chains though) because it has a wonderful vibe, excellent carers and lots of great activities - DD loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Go back another day, don't call ahead, just go in and tell them you'd like one more tour. Go with your gut feelings.
    And this. Rock up at different times and see what it's like. They all have their manic & quiet times!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks i was really hoping my gut would tell me. It fears the big one is too big but fears the small one is too small and could get boring.

I showed up at the big one unannounced but the small was on appointment... This is so hard.. So scared i will pick the wrong one

Thanks
    Reviews

You can look at their accreditation quality results, also qualifications of staff. Stay for at least an hour, and I agree with others its also a gut feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews

Look at their menus. We' re switching centres because our current one feeds the babies jelly, sausage rolls and fairy bread!

Thanks
    Reviews

I work in child care and have worked in the babies room. We had 16 in our babies room and no way would I have more even with an extra staff member. It becomes too stressful especially at the beginning of the year when all the children are new and need to be settled in. So personally I wouldn't go with the bigger centre. I love working in the babies room don't get me wrong but when you have half of them crying all st once even with 4 staff it is difficult to get to everyone.

A few things I would look at are
    Cot rooms and how many kids can be in it at once. We had 5 and it was okay but gets hard when you have 5 kids to get to sleep at once as you'd get one off and then another would cry snd wake the rest. Or you have 3 asleep and go to put a child in and they cry and wake the ones that went down 20mins ago.

I would also look at time management stuff like how they keep track of all the kids different routines. We had a timeline on our fridge with bottle/food and sleep times. We filled it in each morning as the kids came in. Also how they know when its time to check cots. They must be checking every 10mins. We had a timer. If they don't is be asking how they guarantee that the children are checked on every 10mins.

Go with your gut though. Just giving you a perspective from a worker.
    Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks gemma what you have Said is great! Im going to go back and ask all those questions. And now that i think of it i suppose smaller is better for the reasons you said. Especially when he wants to sleep and there are 18 other kids around that will be very hard. Just did love the older carers in there but yep will go back for sure.
    Also ask about menu. The small one gave me a copy the big one didn't..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they don't have an open door policy I wouldn't go there.