+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: GBS Swab.... How to?? Haha. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    I tested positive my first pregnancy but not the second. I've read the awful stories of babies with GBS and was certain I would want to know because if I didn't and something happened to my baby I couldn't ever forgive myself.

I was told if you are positive they don't worry about the anti biotics till the waters have ruptured?

But each to their own.
    Its when you present in hospital or once the waters rupture,

Infection with gbs happens from contact with gbs in the waters (in my case 25 years ago mums waters slow leaked for many weeks before we were born prem which is most likely where the gbs infection came from for me)

My ob starts them as early as possible prefering several rounds of i.v antibiotics ,

I presented 8 cm dilated and waters still fully intact
    Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    I'm guessing I won't need to do the swab with a c-section?!
    I still had to do one, no idea why though till this day hahah Will see if they ask me to do one again this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: GBS Swab.... How to?? Haha. Help!

This has freaked me out a little... I never had to do it with my first 2, hope I dont Have to do it this time...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    I'm guessing I won't need to do the swab with a c-section?!
    Ive been reading about this swab and wondering why id never had it done lol now i know...c sections!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default GBS Swab.... How to?? Haha. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    I still had to do one, no idea why though till this day hahah Will see if they ask me to do one again this time!
    Maybe they did just In case you went in to labour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    how funny this tread came up. I just did mine and sent it off this morn!
    I also had to do one for my first pregnancy which ended up as a c-section. I tested neg.
    If u read the info that you should have been given with the test, it says the virus can come and go numerous times in any healthy woman, without her knowing it. That's why you should be tested each pregnancy regardless of your resluts previously. It efffets baby when it's born thru the vagina, does not effect you.
    So seeing as it's fresh in my mind, you insert the sterile swab probe 2cm into the vagina then insert the same probe 1cm into the anus. Then put it back into it's sterile tube, cap on and label accordingly date, time ect. Hand it in to pathology lab asap.
    While i was trying to do mine at home, with my screaming toddler banging down the bathroom door...i gave in and let her in only for her to grab the swap and run off with it....geez i hope i havent screwed it up, i really prob should have told them what happened when i handed it in.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 30-11-2012 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wasn't allowed to do my own with my recent pregnancy! (I'm in VIC) I was horrified when she had to do it for me. I'd previously done it myself and was completely mentally unprepared to have someone else do it.
    Also with previous pregnancies, I only had to do a vaginal swab, no anal swab! I felt quite violated to have a complete stranger poke something there!
    Luckily I did though as I tested positive this time and they only just managed to get the antibiotics in 10 minutes before bub was born.

Thanks
    Reviews

I only had to do it vaginally for both of my pregnancies. Both tests were positive which just means I had to have antibiotics in labour. No big deal really.

My older sister died from strep b when she was 2 days old, this was 32 years ago but just not worth the risk in not testing IMO.