+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It just depends on the hospital / ob requesting the test as o whether it's vaginal or vaginal and anal. Some will do it on one swab (always front to back!) some will give you two separate swabs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default GBS Swab.... How to?? Haha. Help!

Thank you ladies. I have the swab already so I guess I'll just go for it! Ill take a bit from column a and b... Haha. Such a charming topic haha!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: GBS Swab.... How to?? Haha. Help!

My ob didn't do an anal swab :l if i had to do that i would be like omfg ob you do it please

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a pathology collector and I've never been told to or done an anal swab for gbs. I guess every where is different though.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Before you do I would actually recommend you NOT doing it. I wished I hadnt of done it with DD as I was trying for a VBAC2 and because my GBS came up positive this time I wasnt able to labour at home so had to stay in hospy and have a canula inserted so they could administer antibiotics.

The hospy were surprised my OB wanted to me have a swab as they said its something the are phasing out they now just monitor bubs for any infections after a VB.

I totally believe that because I couldnt labour at home and was stuck in a hospital I wasnt able to achieve my VBAC2.

If you know all about it and find that having the swab is best for you then apologies for intruding! Just something I wished I have of researched.
    Just wanted to pop in and say sorry to hear of your story.
    I was also positive when attempting my VBA2C and stayed at home for as long as I could.
    I was so far in labour by the time I got to the hospital they totally forgot I was positive and were more worried about my scar and monitoring!
    No one realised the mistake until hours after my birth (which was a successful VBA2C).
    It's convinced me not to get tested this time around to help me have another natural delivery.
    Sorry to derail.

Thanks
    Reviews

I never had the swab for either of my pregnancies. What's it for?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post
    I never had the swab for either of my pregnancies. What's it for?
    They do a vaginal (sometimes anal as well) swab for the bacteria group b strep,

I tested + in my first pregnancy but did not realise i was in labour so presented at hospital at 8 cm dilated,

I will always choose antibiotics if i know i am in labour, a baby who contracts gbs goes down hill very, very fast

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is also and douche option rather than IV antibiotics for those who test positive.

Thanks
    Reviews

they sprung this on me at one of my appts. I was horrified and had to do it in the toilets. I felt like I violated myself haha. Also I was mid back door swab when someone was trying to get into the toilet. I shat myself lol. My husband laughed because she was about to do the same test

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I tested positive my first pregnancy but not the second. I've read the awful stories of babies with GBS and was certain I would want to know because if I didn't and something happened to my baby I couldn't ever forgive myself.

I was told if you are positive they don't worry about the anti biotics till the waters have ruptured?

But each to their own.