+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Son with bipolar

My son has been unofficially diagnosed with bipolar. He is 6 - and they don't like formally diagnosing bipolar so young but they are fairly certain this it what he has and is bring treated for.

Has anyone had experiences with bipolar as a child or adult or know anyone who has been affected by it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Son with bipolar

Wow! I have bipolar, officially diagnosed in March/April of this year but that took numerous maniac episodes over the past 10-15 years for doctors to make that official diagnoses.

Before that I was always labelled with depression.

Any questions feel free to ask or PM me xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

My dh has bipolar-so do all the other males in his family.
    Dh was diagnosed last year, and was initially misdiagnosed with depression.
    We have recently, like 6 months, found a medication that works.

Eta- I know there has already been the offer, but if you want to talk or ask a question of someone who LIVES with someone who has it feel free!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

Honestly ... I don't know what to ask ... I guess it would be nice to know that he will stabilise but apparently due to growth spurts and hormones and puberty it will always go up and down. Apparently he will also fight the meds at different times to be himself. Has anyone experienced that?

He has been quite bad just prior to unofficial diagnosis, where we had to remove our other kids from the house for 3 weeks due to his violence and unpredictability. he has settled somewhat now on a medication used for adults only (apparently?) he is on clonidine and aripiprazole and fish oil.

I guess I was just looking for a little community of people so that we can deal with issues together.

He is great ATM but was also removed from school for 6 weeks and now they want docs to investigate even though doctors say he can go back now for 2 hours a day.

So that's a bit about us...

Oh and we feel like he is being so ostracised by everyone!! Like its some hideous embarrassing disease or something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I have bipolar type 2 . I was diognosed 7 years ago now. Before that I suffered tummy migraines and anxiety from the age of 7. Unfournatley their is a stigma attached to bipolar due to misinformation via the media for many years. I'm very open about my bipolar now as i feel it is nothing to be ashamed of as it is simply a bchemical imbalance in my brain.

What type of medication do they have your son on ? Also you may find putting him into a yoga class to be of benefit as it can teach him natural ways of calming himself. I also carry a bottle of lavender oil which I dab on my neck when I feel my anxieties and anger coming on and then I breath deeply.

My mum use to give me an egg timer as well and she would allow me to go to my room and yell and scream until the egg timer ran out. It was a great way to let my frusrations out. Drop me a pm if you want to ask anything mate.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Son with bipolar

I have bipolar 2 and borderline personality... It seems very weird that your son was diagnosed it so young (I know you said unofficially but a diagnosis is a diagnosis)... I was diagnosed 3 days before my 21st birthday! I don't have much advice for a child so young. I doubt he would cope with therapy. But exercise! Its something my psych keeps telling me as I'm not currently on any meds... Don't be surprised if he fights the meds. He could do it for a number of reasons, including them being the wrong ones for him. It took 6 months to find the right ones for me. If you needs someone to talk to send me a pm. Ignore when people say negative things. They just don't understand. They probably never will. Hugs to you and your son. I hope it gets better soon

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

Fichicken,
    It's nice to hear from you, having experienced it from a young age!
    Great ideas too... I will keep them in mind!
    my son also used to suffer from migraines but not so much lately.
    Doctors also think he has a very mild type of epilepsy due to his "blackouts" but his EEG didn't show abnormalities.

ATM my main 2 problems are the school thing and everyone's inability to accept him for who he is... In shops when strangers tell is how naughty he is or that we should be able to control our son, but especially family... my parents will only babysit him under certain "rules and provisions" even though he is better behaved now and much easier to handle than he has EVER been! And my sister won't have him around her kids in case he swears or does the wrong thing because it's too hard to make her kids understand why he is "like that"...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

My husband has bipolar and takes lithium. He is quite stable the majority of the time. I find that he can be very blunt and have an acid tongue when he gets frustrated and he is very socially awkward .... Like he doesn't register what is and what isn't appropriate to say in a social situation and sometimes he doesn't care.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son with bipolar

Smidget

Thanks for your reply, ATM his therapy is done thru us... We see his psychiatrist and psychologist and they teach us how to handle him. They also teach us ways that we can teach him to help himself.

He does ALOT of exercise... He is very active ... *yawn* lol..

He is taking aripiprazole for the bipolar, clonidine as required when he starts going off the rails, and as a sedative to help him get to sleep and fish oil to help with concentration. He has already tried risperdal and back when they thought it was something easier to manage, Ritalin. Both meds sent him silly. The Ritalin being the worst by sending him on a downer with him crying and hiding under covers, lounges and inside the pantry, etc for the full day.