+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cert IV or Enrolled Nursing?

I have the option to either do enrolled nursing next year or do a cert IV prep course which is an accepted entry pathway into university. With enrolled nursing, its an 18 month course and I'd have to have been working for a year as an enrolled nurse before I could get accepted into university, but if I get accepted, id go straight into second year. With the cert IV, it's a 12 month course and I'd go straight into uni after. The enrolled nursing costs roughly around $400 0 including books but with cert IV it only costs $300. With the diploma it's 3 days a week, but with cert IV it's full time but I can do it online and still have bub with me. I'm torn between the two and have no idea which one to choose Any advice would be highly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing as I am also considering the same thing

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a really hard decision ay! So many pros and cons to both

Thanks
    Reviews

Exactly! And for me it kind of depends on whether I want to work for awhile before hitting uni and I'm really not sure about that either! Confusing and frustrating

Thanks
    Reviews

Another thing to consider is if you do your EN you can work as a Nurse while you put yourself through uni.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

EN agency work is quite well paid :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Cert IV or Enrolled Nursing?

I would do the diploma personally. I think there are more benefits to doing it this way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I did my diploma of nursing 2 years ago and went straight into UNO. Are you sure there isn't any uni in your state that will accept you straight away? As another poster said, it might be better doing the diploma so you can work while studying if needed. Shift work as an EEN is quite well paid. Also, have you considered going to uni through distance education if you need to stay at home with kids? All the unis that I know of which offer distance education would put you straight to second year and you can enrol as soon as you finish the diploma. Hope that helps good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that by doing enrolled nursing you will not only be able to work while at uni as an enrolled nurse but you will also gain valuable experience through the course and clinical placements that will benefit you at uni and beyond.

also if you have to delay or defer your uni degree for any reason you will have a solid qualification behind you...I may be a little biased as I am currently studying my diploma of nursing.

Good luck either way it's an exciting journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rinahbee, I finished my EENs about 1 1/2 years ago. I would suggest do your diploma first. Then you are sure you are "cut out" to be a nurse before committing to UNI. As for the year wait before entry to UNI after your diploma I would clarify this with a UNI as I know plently of EENs that finished the diploma worked for 6 months to ensure they were happy and enrolled in UNI for that semester.
    Best of luck with your decision.