+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *spin off* Will you be sending ur kids to kindy and/ or prep?

Im really interested in the reasonings behind this either way it had never really occurred to me to not send DD once she is 4.

Here in SA you have to have them enrolled in school by age 6 so legally they can skip kindy and prep and go straight into grade 1 im guessing?

Interested in hearing how it works and what other mummies have decided to do and why

No judgements please just information sharing!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Esme just turned four and is happy with her 3 days in daycare, so she will be going to kinder in January and then school in 2014.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest just turned 4 and will be going to kindergarten in 2013 and prep (at primary school) in 2014. We are in Victoria and I only know our system though, I get very confused by kindy and pre-prep etc in other States.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes absolutely. My son (5 next may and starting next year aged 4) is generally shy and I would like him to make friends in prep (the time they tend to group up) and not miss that opportunity. Plus I think he needs the confidence which school will give him. He is a very bright boy but it has come to a point where he needs more stimulation then what I can offer at home all day every day.

Also at prep parent night we learnt what they will be doing for the year. They will be learning to count to 20, to recognise sounds, join words, how the letters are pronounced and how the mouth pronounces those letters (to help in future spelling) they learn about weights, measurements, volume etc. they learn basic reading (which I thought was more then basic for that age when they showed me) they learn so many things that I wouldn't let him miss the opportunity too. they learn how to cook, how to plant and grow their own produce and how to sell what they cook. They learn computer skills, a language, sports, music, library time, art, obstacle courses, discipline, behaviour etc.

He is very bright and can do a lot of these things already however I would like him to settle into school with their systems instead of going the following year when everyone else is alteady settled with teachers, friends, their way of schooling etc and then finding him struggling to adapt. Iykwim?!

Plus he is very ready. He wants to go and needs to go.

I could keep on going with a million reasons but will leave it at this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My children have/will all go to kindy. In Qld that is the part time year which they turn 4 by 30th June. It is non compulsory.

They will also go to prep which is the first year of compulsory attendance the year before Year 1 in qld.

Between Dd1 and DS attending kindy and prep the national curriculum was introduced so I have seen first hand the difference. What Dd1 learned in Year 1, they now learn in Prep.

Also, what Dd1 learned in Prep they are now doing in kindy ie. Jolly Phonics.

I personally believe if my children didn't attend kindy or prep they would certainly be at a disadvantage. Kindy and prep are no longer social and solely play based.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids won't.

They are going to a private school that utilises a lot of Steiner philosophies.

One of those theories is delaying formal learning and instead learning through creative free play, beginning the learning process through their imagination as this provides a more creative foundation for writing/reading.

It's been found by the age of 12 children schooled under this philosophy are on par, or often above children who started in kindy.

They do go to a school playgroup which increases to 3 short days a week during what would be their prep year.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 14-11-2012 at 21:02. Reason: BH stole my paragraphs!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (14-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in qld but I thought prep was going to become compulsory when the national curriculum is introduced? (Can't remember what year that is for all schools, if its next year or the year after?).

We started our daughter the year after she was eligible and in talking to the school I asked whether that would mean shed have to go into grade 1 when she started. The registrar said no way, she couldn't skip prep as she would miss too much and wouldn't be able to catch up (they are following the nat curriculum already). Now that we have been through prep and seen what they have learnt I completely agree - what my DD has done in prep goes far beyond what I did in prep (I was in vic then!) and there's no way she could start school in grade 1 and keep up. I really don't understand how prep can be optional

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

In nsw pre school is not compulsory so kids start kindy at 5, I was pretty sure I would not be sending DS to pre school but I've just discovered Montessori and they start pre school at age 3, so I think I will send DS then as I really love their teaching philosophies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: *spin off* Will you be sending ur kids to kindy and/ or prep?

Yup, wouldn't think twice, but they go to a private Christian school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in QLD and have been told that prep isn't compulsory here yet (also confirmed by the principal at our chosen private school) as I have already mentioned we are definitely sending our children to prep ASAP but it isn't compulsory yet and don't think it is till 2014 or 2015? I know it's still not for next year. I believe it should be though. IMO!