+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Induction at 38 weeks - scared!

Gel in @8 contractions by 8:40 fine with no pain meds as long as i was left alone in a dark room and rested. Gas once i got up. Born at 3:21am. Once he came out they realized they got the measurements wrong and he was 3 weeks early. As long as u are in the right frame of mind everything will.go smooth. gl hun
    Waters broke on their own. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction at 38 weeks - scared!

Hi, so sorry you've had to go through all of this! I was induced at 39 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I had one lot of gels at 9pm, contractions started immediately, 1am I had dilated 2cm, my water broke at around 1:30 and by 3:30 I was 10cm. I ended up pushing for 3 hours (bub was born with cord around his neck so every push he would slip back up) with an episiotomy and ventouse delivery. I just used gas. The contractions were very painful but this was my first baby so I don't have anything to compare it too! Over all, my birth experience was fine. I regret nothing, my boy was out safely and that's the most important thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate all your words.
    I've been strong and optimistic about everything to do with bubs (with a few dark days obviously-with all the fears that go along with first time motherhood + heart problems and surgeries). But... I just think in the last week and today it's all coming to a head and I feel so overwhelmed.
    Induction is just another thing on top of this journey and I'm just hoping it can be a 'good' experience if you know what I mean. My ob is very understanding and is definitely aware of my emotional state and fears about induction. So that's good.
    Thank you for the positive but honest stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who has had a baby with CHD

My DD was induced at 40 + 12. My cervix was not favourable at all so I had the gel inserted in the afternoon and sent home. I returned to the hospital at 7am the following morning and had only dilated 1cm. I had my waters broken and then the syntocin. I won't lie, the contractions were unbearable after an hour so I had an epidural. Labour lasted a total of 7 hours. With my DS (my heart baby) I was induced at 40 + 8. I had a stretch and sweep, the gel inserted in the afternoon and contractions started about 6pm. My waters were broken and again I had an epidural. Labour was again 7 hours.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi there. I wish you and your bub all the best!

I was induced at 38+3 and had an amazing birth. I went into hospital at 38+2 as I was bleeding. I was at 2cm but DS didn't really want to go anywhere, so after being monitored overnight, my waters were broken and the drip was put in.

I had pethidine because whilst I found I could handle the pain of the contractions, I really needed some more rest between them. The peth helped me do that. I tried the gas but gave up as I didn't really want to think about it, I just wanted to be in the zone.

I laboured kneeling over the back of the bed, so I didn't feel 'strapped down' or anything.

I did ask for an epi but that was during transition. Once I was told it was too late I forgot and focused on meeting my little man!

I had a 2.5 hour active labour, it was fast, intense, painful but amazing and I can't wait to do it all again.

Good luck xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big hugs

I've had 2 inductions so that's all I know. First time around it took 24 hours for the cervix to be ready after the first gel, then I had an ARM and an epidural straight afterwards. Bubs was born 9 hours after ARM. I needed the drip about 3 hours after the ARM as my contractions weren't effective enough (not lasting long enough or something - bit of a blur in my memory now).

2nd bub my cervix still wasn't ready, but bubs was big and I had gestational diabetes and I was already 39+2 so induction was the go yet again. Again it took 24 hours for the gel to do it's thing, but this time around the gel worked well by that 24 hour mark and I was pretty ready to go by the time I had my ARM. I resisted the epidural, but that only lasted 2 hours cause the contractions started intensely about an hour after the ARM and I was fully dilated within 4.5 hours and had bub shortly thereafter. I did get a sniff (teeny amount) of the medicine through the drip, but basically my body just went into established labour without much help. I was up & in the shower about an hour after delivery (despite the epidural) so that was great!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes. They checked my cervix on the day I arrived and it was unfavorable so they did the gel tampon thing for 12 hours- long boring day, only got period pain type cramps in and off, very mild. When the took it out that night It hand worked.

The next day they tried this water baloon catheter that they insert and inflate with water into your cervix. Sorry I can't remember what it was called! They gave me gas when they put it in and it was awful. In saying that though when they took it out that night I was 1 cm dialated so they left me overnight to see if contractions started but only mild cramping really.

The next day they checked me at 10 and I was already 3cms. I felt really confident at that point cause I really hadn't had any pain. They then broke my water and put me on the drip, increasing every 30 mins. At around 1 contraction hit hard and fast. It was very intense but by 2pm when they checked me again it was 10cms already! Pushed for 1 1/2 and DD was born at 3.34pm.

So labour on paper was 3.5 hours, no pain relief and although it was quick, painful and intense, it was a a really positive experience!

All the best to u and your bubba

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey tamtam, I haven't read the other replies, but just wanted to pop in to say that I was induced at 38wks with my DD. I am sorry you are going through this, mine was a medically necessary induction too and I felt positive going in to it, knowing that if my ob thought it was best then I did too. I had gel first, it caused some niggly pains but no proper contractions. We waited 6hrs before ARM to give the gel a chance to work. After 6hrs I had dilated just enough to allow ARM (I think I was 1-2cm, so it was still VERY early on and I wasn't in labour as such). The ARM kickstarted things very quickly. I did need to be hooked up to something (not sure what? it was around my belly, does it measure contractions?) anyway but could still move around and I think standing up and walking around was brilliant after the ARM as it made the contractions more regular so try to ask for that freedom if possible.
    I had a great induction, I didn't need the drip as the ARM was enough to bring on labour. I didn't even need drugs other than gas in the pushing phase at the end. I really wish you all the best! Focus on the end game, not anything that happens in between

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone. I'm beginning to feel less overwhelmed. You always hear such bad stories but I need to tell myself how many good inductions there are!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Another positive induction here - I wouldn't change a thing (except retained placenta - but that's another story)...I was induced with catheter inserted into cervix overnight, then had my waters broken and drip put in. I had gas to help with pain but found it more useful to bite on the mouthpiece..labour was fast...and then I got to meet my little man....

Wishing you all the best