Ok...this might be long so I put it out there in advance...
My bub was diagnosed with a rare congenital heart defect at 20 weeks (a 1 in 100 000 occurrence apparently).... some of you know this. There have also been concerns over her growth as she has short long bones (arms and legs). Initially the doctors were worried about growth but she seems to have tracked along at her own pace but staying in the 5th percentile. Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and her abdominal circumference continued to climb so now she is considered 'disproportionate'. This is either relating to the GD (Very real possibility) or another genetic or chromosomal factor at play - we won't know til she's born and testing is carried out. (we've always known there could be other problems other than her heart).
Doctors spoke about inductions/moving an hour away etc from 37 weeks so we were close to the hospital should things 'go south'... but we managed to get everyone on board with waiting til 40-41 weeks before intervention.
UNTIL today!!! My OB was very happy to support the waiting, but today he suggested we go early as he doesn't want her belly/shoulders to get any bigger making a caeserean a possibility, and I do trust his opinion and don't feel pressure.
So now I'm booked in to have an induction at just on 38 weeks (induction starting with gel on 25 Nov, delivery hopefully on 26 Nov).
So I guess I'm venting on one side, I've spent most of the day crying (this pregnancy and all the complications have not been easy and nothing has gone to plan) and the other is asking for advice tips on how to deal with the induction.
(PLEASE no bad stories, I'm having trouble coping as it is).
From what I understand he will administer the gel on the sunday night and hope that kicks starts it....after that he will do ARM.... with the last thing being the drip to bring on contractions if necessary.
Does this sound right?
Any advice is welcome....