+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Induction at 38 weeks - scared!

Ok...this might be long so I put it out there in advance...

My bub was diagnosed with a rare congenital heart defect at 20 weeks (a 1 in 100 000 occurrence apparently).... some of you know this. There have also been concerns over her growth as she has short long bones (arms and legs). Initially the doctors were worried about growth but she seems to have tracked along at her own pace but staying in the 5th percentile. Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and her abdominal circumference continued to climb so now she is considered 'disproportionate'. This is either relating to the GD (Very real possibility) or another genetic or chromosomal factor at play - we won't know til she's born and testing is carried out. (we've always known there could be other problems other than her heart).

Doctors spoke about inductions/moving an hour away etc from 37 weeks so we were close to the hospital should things 'go south'... but we managed to get everyone on board with waiting til 40-41 weeks before intervention.
    UNTIL today!!! My OB was very happy to support the waiting, but today he suggested we go early as he doesn't want her belly/shoulders to get any bigger making a caeserean a possibility, and I do trust his opinion and don't feel pressure.

So now I'm booked in to have an induction at just on 38 weeks (induction starting with gel on 25 Nov, delivery hopefully on 26 Nov).
    So I guess I'm venting on one side, I've spent most of the day crying (this pregnancy and all the complications have not been easy and nothing has gone to plan) and the other is asking for advice tips on how to deal with the induction.
    (PLEASE no bad stories, I'm having trouble coping as it is).
    From what I understand he will administer the gel on the sunday night and hope that kicks starts it....after that he will do ARM.... with the last thing being the drip to bring on contractions if necessary.
    Does this sound right?
    Any advice is welcome....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Firstly I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It must be a lot to taken in. I hope everything turns out for your little princess!!

I had an induction with DD1. My cervix was not favourable so I had the cervidel(tampon like thing) inserted after a stretch and sweep, I had that twice over 24hours. After that they broke my waters and had the drip. Once the drip went in our princess arrived 5hours later..

Best of luck with your induction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Firstly I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It must be a lot to taken in. I hope everything turns out for your little princess!!

I had an induction with DD1. My cervix was not favourable so I had the cervidel(tampon like thing) inserted after a stretch and sweep, I had that twice over 24hours. After that they broke my waters and had the drip. Once the drip went in our princess arrived 5hours later..

Best of luck with your induction.
    Thank you. Can I ask...did you have an epidural? How did you cope with the pain as I've heard that inductions can be more painful.
    I will be avoiding gas and pethidine as this transfers to the baby and I do not want anything affecting her heart etc.
    Also - when did you know if your cervix wasn't favourable? At my checkup next week my OB has said he will do an internal exam to check - is this when he would be able to tell if it was? Bub is very low and he says head is engaged which is a good sign.
    This is also my first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thank you. Can I ask...did you have an epidural? How did you cope with the pain as I've heard that inductions can be more painful.
    I will be avoiding gas and pethidine as this transfers to the baby and I do not want anything affecting her heart etc.
    Also - when did you know if your cervix wasn't favourable? At my checkup next week my OB has said he will do an internal exam to check - is this when he would be able to tell if it was? Bub is very low and he says head is engaged which is a good sign.
    This is also my first.
    When I went in for my induction I wasn't dilated at all and my cervix was hard(I think this is what the class it as). Your OB will be able to tell by doing an internal how favorable your cervix is... I was booked for a c-section on the Tuesday arvo was next to go in and bam I went from 1cm dilated to 10 and crowning in the 5hours so even if it isn't favorable doesn't mean you can't go natural still..
    I did have an epidural after 4 hours, I will admit it was painful going from no contractions to full on contractions but thinking back now I could of held off on the epi but just thought it was going to take forever. Bub was also facing up so I hear this is more painful and harder to birth.

If bub is already engaged that is an excellent sign. 2 mothers in my last DIG went it had ARM and the drip and bubs were born within 3 hours drug free..

Thanks
    Reviews

I had an induction in July. I started with the gas but I could t get it to work. If you are thinking epidural, ask early. I was induced as my waters broke but contractions were still irregular 24 hours later. They started me on the drip around 7.30am and by 10.30 I asked for an epidural which the lady didn't come until 12. Bare in mind that with the drip it gets turned up every 30 minutes. So if you want an epidural ask as early as possible!

I wasn't progressing by 2:30pm (6cm dilated at a stretch, plus there was meconium in the water, and the babies heart rate was dipping with contractions. So they said they needed to give me an emergency c section. I cried (I was scared). I got on the operating table, they have me the spinal block through the epidural. They were ready to cut but then realised they needed to take the heart rate monitor off the babies head. At 3:30pm they found I had dilated the last 4cm in an hour. So I still had my vaginal delivery!!! They used forceps but I couldn't feel a thing!!

Good luck. Sorry you are going through this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Big hugs to you. What a hard road you've travelled with this pregnancy. I was induced at 37 weeks, 5 days due to pre-eclampsia. I only had one dose of gels and then went out to lunch with friends. Contractions started over lunch and then my DD was born 5 hours later after an incredibly serene and lovely labour and birth and without pain relief. I'd never wish for an induction but they don't have to be terrible, especially if you don't need the drip. Best wishes for a wonderful birth and a healthy baby. Let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an induction at 38 weeks. I highly recommend an epidural, it made all the difference pain wise for me. Don't think about it too much, it will be what it will be and it's important to focus on the end - your bub in your arms. That will be magical!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tamtam,

I had a few complications during my pregnancy as well (nothing like yours). I was hospitalised at 40 weeks due to pre eclampsia. I had the gel inserted on the Monday and nothing happened so she inserted the maximum amount, still nothing. My bubs head wasn't engaged and I had not dilated. I had my waters broken on the Tuesday morning and then went straight onto the the drip. The contractions started straight away. They got pretty intense quite quickly. I had the gas a few times to help me along. It probably didn't do much. At about 5hrs in I was given the option of epidural which I went for. My blood pressure was high so my ob advised that it was probably best (epi helps being blood pressure down). The epi was fantastic. I was surprised at how the pain went away completely. 9hrs in and I still hadn't dilated at all so ended up with a Caesar. Half an hour later my beautiful boy was in my arms. Not once have I ever wished that I didn't have an induction nor am I upset that I had a Caesar. I went in with so many anxieties but let me assure you, child birth is difficult no matter what. An induction just means you will see your beautiful baby sooner, and what a magical moment it will be. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi! Sorry to hear about your stressful pregnancy!

I was induced with my second at 38 wks, because OB was concerned that he was to big, (for me, my first was tiny, but came naturally at 38wks) I had no concerns about him being 38wks, as my first was fine at this stage, so it put my mind at easy.

I was given the gel at 8am, was hooked up to monitor any contractions, they said the gel may sting a little but really I don't think I would have noticed if they didn't mention it , obviously it's not fun having them do it but no pain what so ever. They said I was starting contractions (but I couldn't feel them) I had some more gel around 5pm, ( I took a book, my phone and charger, had DH with me the whole time as I was bored, but also tried to sleep, incase he was a screamer form get go wanted to have as much sleep as possible ) this whole time I was in no pain or discomfort.

I started real contractions later that night, but wasn't dilated I decide with my OB that I would wait to have the drip till the morning, obviously this was just a choice you can get it a lot sooner, however DS didn't care much for my decision and decided to come at 2am. So I don't know what the drip is like, but my OB explained to me that the drip wouldn't make it hurt more but that you don't get the slow lead up to it sort of thing. I looked at it form the positive side- at least it would be faster

My labour was only 6hrs and DS was a big 4kg bub and was sooo much easier then my natural labour with my tiny 2.9 kg bub, so don't let size and induction scare you, it dose not have to be a negative thing at all.

If you want an epidural i'd let them know from the start your open to it.

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, you've had a rough ride. I hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on and your little one is born with no further problems!

I had an induction for my first daughter due to IUGR, beginning at 39+5 with the cervidil tape; she was born the next night. I started with an unfavourable cervix (OB had examined me at my appointment a couple of days earlier and examined me again before inserting the tape) and it stayed unfavourable right up until midday on the day DD was born. Once things got moving they moved pretty quickly and I was in active labour for about 5 hours with 1.5 hours second stage. I won't say it was painless but I got through it with calmbirth breathing techniques for the most part, then a morphine shot then the gas (ugh). So inductions aren't always longer and more painful than spontaneous labour.

Good luck xo