+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default At my wits end with almost 7 yr old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may be long so i apologise in advance.

My mother in law (mid to late 50's) always takes DD (almost 7) to swimming lessons and most of the time to gymnastics. About 6-8 weeks ago she was dropping DD at gym when an elderly lady fell down the steps at the Ymca. DD was concerned as normal people are. The following week after gym DD, DS and their cousin were playing frisbee in the park with MIL when she tripped and fell. She took skin off her face but luckily did not sustain any other injuries.
    Since then DD has refused to go with MIL at all. I have been taking her since and have tried being calm and understanding, tried being angry and nothing is working.
    Tonight i took her to swimming as she again refused to go with MIL. I wouldnt let her in the pool until the lesson started and made her get straight out as soon as it finished. She was hoping to play with a friend who was there. I also said that she isnt going home with her friend tomorrow or going to gym tomorrow night.

What would you do? MIL loves spending the time with her but she wont have a bar of it anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't understand why ????

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure I understand why either? Is the MIL somehow implicated in either incident?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would sit down and have a chat to her about why she doesn't want to go with your MIL and find out if there is some underlying issue. If there isn't I don't have any suggestions sorry

All I can suggest is maybe dropping your DD off even if she protests and get MIL to do something really fun with her so that she gets over her fear if she's somehow related her being with your MIL and people getting hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: At my wits end with almost 7 yr old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you asked her why she doesn't want to go with MIL? Perhaps have a meeting with all 3 of you so she can air her concerns.
    Accidents happen and as a 7 year old she is probably just starting to figure all that out.
    Is there a reason why you cant all go together?

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe it scared her seeing your MIL have an accident and she's worried about it happening again.

Why are you punishing her??

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (15-11-2012),lovelymum  (14-11-2012),Mollyandtaysmum  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you asked her why?

My DD (who is 7) wouldn't have a say.
    If she didn't go with MIL then she wouldn't go.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shhhsleeping For This Useful Post:

Mollyandtaysmum  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Could your DD be worried or scared that it will happen again if MIL takes her? Maybe she thinks MIL will hurt herself again if she goes there again. Or maybe your dd might feel guilty that it happened while MIL was taking her swimming and doesnt want it to happen because its her activity it happened at, she could just be worried for her grandmas safety.

Will your DD hang out with MIL anywhere else now or is it just at swimming? Talking to her about how she felt when it happened is probably the best thing to do. I dont think punishing her is going to do much especially if she is feeling sad and or guilty about MILs fall

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Mollyandtaysmum  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't think from the op's message that the MIL fell, it was abother lady that fell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Oh sorry op are you saying your DD witnessed an older lady fall one day and then on a different day in the park with MIL your DD fell while playing? Or did MIL fall? Either way its best to ask your DD how she felt in that moment

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub