+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Please tell me honestly...

Hi wonderful mummies! My one month old DS is going through an extra clingy stage, especially during the day. I know they say it's a SIDS risk, but is it really so bad to go to sleep with him on my chest? I've done it a couple of times out of pure desperation, and I know that I don't move an inch when we sleep. He sleeps so much better and for longer (we both do), and to be honest, it seems much more natural and nurturing to comfort him in that way. It's just I feel so guilty when I wake up and I have succumbed yet again, but at times in the middle of the night I can be so beside myself with tiredness that I'll do anything...

Still, I'd rather trade in my sleep for his safety. I know in lots of non-western cultures it's the norm to sleep this way. Have you done it yourselves? Am I underestimating the risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    do you mean he is sleeping on his tummy, on your chest while you lie on your back?
    i'll probably get shot down in flames but i know soooo many babies who refuse to sleep anywhere but on their tummies.
    i would say it's absolutely fine!

i personally have spent many a night with my babies falling asleep like that and as long as their face is uncovered and they don't overheat it's fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have an 8wo who I have shared a bed with since birth. I try and avoid him sleeping on my chest though when I'm asleep as I am worried he or I might tip slightly and he will roll off.

While he generally just sleeps next to me in bed, occasionally I have lay sort of on my back/side and propped him up (on his back) on my shoulder and cuddled my arm around him, which seemed safer as he couldn't fall and he was on his back.

In saying that, I do think mothers are very aware of their baby's positioning even when sleeping and tend to wake even if their baby isn't crying but moving, and I'm like you in that I don't tend to move positions at all when sleeping.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Please tell me honestly...

When my DD was bodn i was adament that id never co-sleep. Two weeks later there she was in our bed. I was exhausted...she wouldnt sleep unless she was next to me. I don't think I would have slept with her on my stomach though in case she rolled off. I'm normally a very restless sleeper byt when she was next to me it was like my instincts told me not to roll over. She grew out of it in a couple of weeks but I think it was the best thing I could do....mainly for my own sanity. At the end of the day it is your baby and your decision. You have to do what works for you and your baby and as long as it's done safely then it doesn't really matter what everybody else thinks. That's my opinion anyway!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    When he's asleep on your chest, keep him close and do a side roll. Make sure there are no doonas, pillows etc.. and you'll be right. DH was a non mover with babes on his chest - I watched him sleep for hours like a dead man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Enjoy it.
    Co-sleeping is one of the best things in the world.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

That was the only way I could get DS to sleep for the first 6 weeks. I felt awful for breaking all the SIDS rules but it was the only way he would sleep for longer than a few minutes.
    In the end when he wasn't brand new and I was a bit less overwhelmed I was ready to tackle settling techniques and get him into his bassinet as I didn't want him in our bed. It worked out really well although now I'm at twice weekly physio appts from the damage I did to my elbow and shoulders from sleeping holding him and holding myself rigid.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoMcY For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Please tell me honestly...

DS would only sleep on either mine or DP's chest in the first few weeks. We could sometimes move him after, others we just let him.

He loved sleeping on his side/tummy once he could roll as well.

Don't stress too much just do it safely I know I was always completely aware of whatever movement DS did.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly said I would never have my LO sleep in our bed. The first night home from hospital I broke my own rule. And several nights since then.

While yes sleeping on your chest is not classified as the safest place for your LO to sleep unless you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol I believe no mother would sleep soundly enough that she would roll over and hurt her child.

DS is a very noisy sleeper so we have moved his cradle into the lounge room which is just outside our room and I push our bedroom door closed. I usually wake up before he is even crying or making a noise. And he's not even in the same room.

At the end of the day if you and your LO are not getting any sleep I believe it is worse for everyone than co-sleeping.

Side note: this may not be the case for you but DS was like this too. He was very hard to put down to sleep and only wanted to sleep on us or while being held and even then was not sleeping properly. Turns out most of the time it was because he had wind. I have now started using infacol the last couple of days (1 week early but have been advised by a pharmacist and several NICU nurses that it won't hurt him) and he has been way more settled. Sleeping better and content when not sleeping. He is currently awake in his bouncer in front of me and not crying. Something that was not happening until a couple days ago. Anyway thought I would share incase this helps you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I prefer to sleep on my right with my arm to the side. I put bubs head laying on my arm and then my hand my bubs bum.

It's a magical thing having your child sleeping in your arms

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (14-11-2012),harvs  (15-11-2012)