+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Since we're nitpicking... even the most grammatically snobby of us (I include myself here) use comma splices. I see examples in the two posts just above mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just to put it out there. It really saddens me that some posters are so patronizing about this. While I agree that spelling and grammar are important I think we need to remember that there may be many reasons why you see incorrect spelling or grammar ...

The poster may be tired, stressed , sick etc

English may be their second language.

They may have not received much of an education...

They may simply not be as intelligent as all you lovely posters....

Just sayin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just to put it out there. It really saddens me that some posters are so patronizing about this. While I agree that spelling and grammar are important I think we need to remember that there may be many reasons why you see incorrect spelling or grammar ...

Just sayin

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-11-2012),gizmoduckus  (15-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (14-11-2012),me+he=3  (14-11-2012),Purple Lily  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post

Just sayin
    If English is someone's second language, I totally get that. English is an extremely difficult language to learn! However, I can be quite tipsy and extremely tired and I still manage to get my spelling and grammar correct 99% of the time. I am guessing that all the like minded people in this thread are the same. I'd bet money on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, (or should it be "yes"?) I dislike poor grammar and spelling as much as most people here. BUT ( i know, I know) I also feel it is disrespectful to those who, for whatever reason, have a poor grasp of written (or spoken) English. I believe, those people are as deserving as the next to air their concerns, opinions and questions without feeling like thay are being judged by others for their written skills. I know I would feel a bit embarrassed to post if I knew everyone was going to nit-pick my post.

Also, speaking for myself, I tend to write how I speak, rather than in the Queen's English, as I feel it conveys more about me personally. I write on here as I would speak to my friends, rather than how I would write an essay or job application. So while my spelling should be reasonable, due to my education ( I don't use spell check - don't have time/can't be bothered) my grammar I'm sure is shocking on BH!!
    Last edited by Kaybaby; 14-11-2012 at 13:05. Reason: Haha, had to edit as I found a spelling error!

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to admit.. Since meeting internet Grammar Nazis I have learnt a number of spelling and grammatical corrections. Considering that I cannot pass an English exam to save my life I think that is pretty good.

Now if only I could type...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Counselling.

I was genuinely just letting people know. No big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Counselling.

I just made a random and shocking realisation. Every person I went to school with, who can read and write at their age level, learnt at home and not at school. They got their skills ‘‘polished‘‘ at school, but they could read and write due to home teaching.

Hmmm. Something to think about, maybe.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I just made a random and shocking realisation. Every person I went to school with, who can read and write at their age level, learnt at home and not at school. They got their skills ‘‘polished‘‘ at school, but they could read and write due to home teaching.

Hmmm. Something to think about, maybe.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub
    I think I do fairly well when it comes to spelling and grammar, but I didn't learn before I began school. I began school when I was 4, turning 5, and had very little interest in learning beforehand. I could neither read nor write when I began.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Oh something that's been bugging me for days, I'm sure someone here will know- baptize or baptise? I saw it on Facebook with an "s" I don't know if auto correct has american-ised my grammar but I thought it just looked wrong. 😫
    Baptise.

The Z is Americanisation.