+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    It bugs me because we are murdering the English language. We are teaching children that spelling and grammar really don't matter. My 8 year old nephew came home the other day and he was appalled that their substitute teacher made them write out the words they got wrong on their spelling test, 20 times each. I asked him what his teacher usually does and he informed me that they don't really do anything with the words they got wrong.

The first thing that helps me sort through resumes when I am recruiting is whether or not there are any spelling mistakes in it.

What bugs me more than spelling mistakes is the fact that journalists are no longer using proper English in their news reports. Instead of a, 'man being apprehended by the police,' news is being reported as a, 'guy being nabbed by the cops.'
    I agree with of this.

I hate his when it should be he's, and after I posted something the other day I noticed I did it!!! Was I tired? Was it the phone? Drove me crazy all day, just like "z" instead of "s" why does a "smart phone" not have an English grammar option???

Oh something that's been bugging me for days, I'm sure someone here will know- baptize or baptise? I saw it on Facebook with an "s" I don't know if auto correct has american-ised my grammar but I thought it just looked wrong. 😫

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    What bugs me more than spelling mistakes is the fact that journalists are no longer using proper English in their news reports. Instead of a, 'man being apprehended by the police,' news is being reported as a, 'guy being nabbed by the cops.'
    ...or the journalists who can't manage to say the word temperature in full, instead saying temp. How bloody lazy!

I also hate the way some celebrities pronounce appreciate with an 'S' sound: appre-S-iate... It's appre-SH-iate!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Counselling.

Not really about spelling but kind of related.

I HATE ugly handwriting.

So many times I'll get given a handwritten note for something (appointments, on business cards, instructions etc), and it looks like a 10 year old has written it!

There was such a focus on handwriting and tidy book work in school when I was growing up. If a page was too messy it would get ripped out and you would have to start over.

I know with laptops and iThings being more widely used, people don't think nice handwriting is important, but I think it's a basic skill that every child should have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I prolly shouldn't comment, but are you sure it ain't counsilling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    ...or the journalists who can't manage to say the word temperature in full, instead saying temp. How bloody lazy!

I also hate the way some celebrities pronounce appreciate with an 'S' sound: appre-S-iate... It's appre-SH-iate!!
    Hehe wasn't it the Chaser who did a song about how much they hate the way Julia Gillard says "nego-see-ate"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The incorrect use of capitals annoys me.

And here's why it matters;

Can you help your Uncle Jack off the horse?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Fox in Sox  (14-11-2012),Witwicky  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Hehe wasn't it the Chaser who did a song about how much they hate the way Julia Gillard says "nego-see-ate"?
    Oh yes, that's the other one I hate!! I cringe when I hear people say it like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh I love this one: "I'm really wrapped that I got the job".

Rapt. The word you are looking for is rapt.
    That one is hilarious!

One that bugs me is when people say brought instead of bought i.e I brought a cake at the shops...

It's just incorrect. I've been told that its an Aussie thing but that is just bs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well, you can never get angry at me OP, I spell it correctly. lol.

I often see it spelt in such a way you'd think it'd involve working for your local council.

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to spelling and grammar. I may not be perfect, but I'm also not horrible. I won't be letting my daughter grow up thinking that Mum has an "o" in it (so many young Australians use this on my FB newsfeed), that realise (or similar) has a "z" instead of an "s", that "his" can be used when you actually mean "he's", that you "loose weight," instead of "lose weight." She'll also lean that "they're taking their dog over there," and know how to use all three of those words properly.

If I don't succeed, I'll consider myself a failure as a parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see your point, I am all for correct spelling and grammer. Especially since my DS has started school.

However I seem to view it in a different light. It doesn't bother or irritate me. unfortunately as was pointed out earlier some teachers do a poor job. Some people suffer from learning difdiculties. It isn't their fault, I feel sorry for them.

I can spell, however when I type on here and am in a rush I don't go back through and spell check and I notice some shocking mistakes. But meh....