+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10.5 month old won't self settle

Hi all,

I am really confused at the moment as for the past 2 months my little one just can't seem to self settle. He used to be fine but now he wants to be rocked to sleep or held. He started wanting to be held for his bedtime sleep but now it is for his day nap/s too. I don't know what to do. He stands up in his cot & just cries, when I try to pat & stroke him he just starts blowing raspberries or trying to play. I don't want to do controlled crying but I just don't know what else to do. It's taking him 1.5hrs to go to bed at night & in the end we just give in & hold him as we don't know what else to do. He is good in that once he is asleep he doesn't wake during the night. But who knows how long that will last for.

Any advice please.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

How long does he take to fall asleep if it is in arms? Once asleep in arms can you transfer him to bed without any issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    during the day it will only take 10 mins & i can put him down. But at night even when holding him it takes 45 mins & he tries to play & poke my eyes out lol. I can transfer him yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 10.5 month old won't self settle

How long is he sleeping during the day? He might not be tired enough when he goes to bed at night and it could be a sign he needs to reduce his day sleeps. What do you think?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    he has 2 but I found it extremely difficult to put him down so decided to stretch him out to 1 nap but it hasn't made that much of a difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS did this for a few months when he was first standing and walking. I did rock him to sleep for a few months as it was just easier and that is what he needed at the time. Just after his first birthday I decided that was enough and it took about a week to settle down but he is now settling on his own again.

What i did to settle him was give him a lovely long cuddle until he was starting to blink lots and look ready for sleep ad then pop him into the cot. He would stand up again and I would sit next to the cot and pop my arm through and pat the mattress and repeat "time to go to sleep now, lay down and go to sleep" he would lay down and get up again a few times, and then once he was settled laying down I would give his back a bit of a rub to help him drift off. Each sleep I reduced the amount of help I was giving him and then started to move further away from the cot but still in the room repeating the same phrase when required. This did take a bit of persistence, but I found that it worked well and with minimal crying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Has bub just started any new skills like crawling/walking etc? Apparently they become more clingy during these times as they are trying to adjust. If its just ten mins during day naps, don't stress and enjoy some snuggles. 45mins is perhaps a bit long but you could always sit in a comfy chair and read whilst he drifts off? I have a 7 week old and I can't often transfer without her waking which is so much harder lol!