Default What to do in this case???

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Easy. Say no to ex. Deal with with consequences and organise martial
    arts classes yourself.
    This ^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So you don't want him to do it because you don't want to take him ? Seems like sacrificing a couple of hours on a Saturday for the benefit of your son is too much to ask then. Sorry, but it does seem selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Oh no, I haven't seen the other thread!
    But yes a sport schedule is stressful IMO. If you want another year without it I say go for it! However if it's about denying one sport to choose another then I don't quite get your point IYKWIM.
    Oh and as for your other comment up there ^^ about your ex liking AFL hence the Auskick... my ex is an NRL fanatic hence the rugby league for DS2, kinda frustrating IMO, so I feel your pain there also!

Well I dont want to put him in it yet. probably not until he is much older 8ish maybe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aus Kick offers things martial arts don't. Such a team work and the ethics required to be in a team.

They all have their benefits.

BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO TAKE HIM
    If this is your only reason for not wanting to do it, then yeah, I see it as selfish too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Hi, I agree with you.

He's only 4, why get into team sport earlier than you have to.
    My eldest is now 8, and going to sport stuff sucks.
    Put it off as long as you can.

And agree on the football - I don't like it.
    I would never take my kid to football. The whole football culture is just...... *shudder*

I'd go for martial arts, dancing, gymnastics, cricket....... anything but football.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (13-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Ok please don't bite my head off as I'm genuinely trying to understand. You say you don't want your son playing the sport as you seem to have an objection to it, yet you say you'd be fine with it if his father took him. So is it a case of having an objection to the sport or just not wanting to take him?

Thanks
    Reviews

I totally understand op. in our house weekends are our time to relax and do stuff as a family. Not to run around doing organized sports.

I would just say no, sorry you don't want to do it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews

I understand what your saying. I think 4yr olds unless showing interest first should just be 4yr olds.
    Ild much rather put my DS in marital arts. I did both soccer and 2 types of karate when younger and the karate I found much more beneficial. You did group activities whilst learning to defend your self and getting fit all at once. It was a great place to meet new friends. When our DS gets older we will be putting him in it. And if our dd shows signs of being interested she will also go into it. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The point of shared parenting is shared parenting. If you can't agree on something as some as an extra curricular activity it doesn't bode well for more complex decisions. This sounds more like a pet minded gripe with your ex than a genuine objection to his choice of activity for his son. You have to be willing to compromise or you will cause unnecessary tension between you, which will have negative consequences for your son. The worst thing for children is to hear their parents being negative about one another. I suggest you make a plan with your ex and then live with it gracefully.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Izy  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What to do in this case???

How is OP being selfish? Gee, it seems like there is a fair amount of judgement tonight.

If OP's son was desperate to try Auskick and OP refused then perhaps we could call her behaviour selfish...however, her DS is 4 years old and he appears to be interested in trying out all sorts of different things... It is Dad who wants DS to do Auskick...and why should n't he but, can he expect/Mum to put 100%of effort into something that she does not value and that does not appear to be of great significance to DS, yet?

I suspect that if Mum and Dad were still together they would discuss, negotiate, compromise and hopefully job-share the extra-curricular activities and in that situation I am sure it would be natural and 'unselfish' for Mum to state her thoughts and feelings on the matter without being accused of being selfish.

You don't owe your ex partner anymore than the truth, ie, you love your kids, you do a lot for them and you'd be happier spending time with them in a different way BUT you are very happy for your ex to take your DS to Auskick (or another sport etc).

And, in terms of not being perceived as the bad one...eek, that's always a tough one...but maybe you and your DS could come up with a few other extra curricular activities he could do that you would BOTH feel happy about...?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (13-11-2012),Ellymoe  (14-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (14-11-2012),shelle65  (13-11-2012)