+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 108
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kids benefit alot from sport! I don't understand why you think he wouldn't. Especially team sports too.
    Your post does come across as kinda selfish, sorry. However, I personally think that at 4yo an organised sport like that isn't necessary, so I get where you are coming from about being a bit of a waste of your time. Does your DS start school next year? If not, I would tell ex that you don't feel he would benefit from an organised sport until the following year. I did that with my ex, so my youngest has got until next year sport free (excluding swimming).

    I also feel your pain re. ex's decision but you're the one doing it; my eldest plays soccer, my middle child will probably play netball like she did this year, and my youngest my ex insists he plays rugby league. Ex is a shift worker. So that's 3 kids, 3 midweek training sessions, 3 Saturday morning games at 3 different fields!! I have explained to ex that he will have to figure out his work schedule to be able to help if he wants DS2 to play a different sport to the others!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked
    271
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    How does his dad feel about martial arts? Would he be willing to pay for half of that as a compromise and you can take him there instead of Auskick?
    Yeah Im not sure. I wanted some opinions first before I got back to him. He loves afl.... Would he benifit from DS being in auskick or something? lol The thing is, he will never be around to take him or show up to any games etc So what the point really?

  3. #13
    HugsBunny's Avatar
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,603
    Thanks
    4,531
    Thanked
    1,966
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What to do in this case???

    I think you're being incredibly unfair on your son. Why not let him try it? Just because you don't want him to? He may love it!!

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

    JessicaBailey  (14-11-2012),loumia  (13-11-2012),saxonrose  (13-11-2012),shhhsleeping  (14-11-2012)

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What to do in this case???

    Easy. Say no to ex. Deal with with consequences and organise martial
    arts classes yourself.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

    HugsBunny  (13-11-2012),jagamoe  (13-11-2012),shhhsleeping  (14-11-2012)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked
    271
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Kids benefit alot from sport! I don't understand why you think he wouldn't. Especially team sports too.
    Your post does come across as kinda selfish, sorry. However, I personally think that at 4yo an organised sport like that isn't necessary, so I get where you are coming from about being a bit of a waste of your time. Does your DS start school next year? If not, I would tell ex that you don't feel he would benefit from an organised sport until the following year. I did that with my ex, so my youngest has got until next year sport free (excluding swimming).

    I also feel your pain re. ex's decision but you're the one doing it; my eldest plays soccer, my middle child will probably play netball like she did this year, and my youngest my ex insists he plays rugby league. Ex is a shift worker. So that's 3 kids, 3 midweek training sessions, 3 Saturday morning games at 3 different fields!! I have explained to ex that he will have to figure out his work schedule to be able to help if he wants DS2 to play a different sport to the others!

    Thats it as well. He is 4 (will be 5 then) full time school. I just dont think he needs this yet. I dont want to get them into sports so early in life, I want them to enjoy life but not be swamped with after school activities. I know people like this and they are always stressed out because all their kids are doing one thing or another. I want my weekends free so we can all go out as a family, camping, fishing, the markets whatever. I dont want to do this so early on.

    Im glad though everyone thinks Im selfish now after that comment in the other thread. Really I do. You have one bad day, say one bad thing and everyone gangs up on ya

  8. #16
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it helps, I hated every second of Auskick when I took DS. I went to practice with a book and would read on the oval until he was done. If you do end up taking him, just find something to pass the time during practice and it wont seem so bad. Its actually kinda funny watching them trying to co-ordinate a bunch of rowdy, uncoordinated kids. The simplest task like making a line and handballing it the coach seemed soo confusing to the kids. Was cute.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

    Default Re: What to do in this case???

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Its more to the point, I dont want to take him to something I dont want him doing. If it was his dad taking him, fine I dont care. But why should I have to take him to something I dont even want him doing??

    I would much rather him do a martial arts, than just running around kicking a ball.
    Because your DS may enjoy it. There are sports and activities i would prefer for my kids to do but their interests lie elsewhere. It would be unfair for me to force my preferances on them.
    I would see it as a bonus if my ex wanted to pay for the kids to play a sport.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,618
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked
    1,482
    Reviews
    19
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Like I said, BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO TAKE HIM. I dont see why i should be the one taking him to do something his dad wants him to do.

    Besides, if he is to do something I would rather something with a bit more.... reason. Football you get : fitness and social/team work
    Martial arts you get : fitness, social, disapline, self defence...

    Im sure there are more. But my point is, like I said, why should i have to take him to something his dad wants him to do if I dont want him doing it? If he wants him to do it, do it on his own time.
    Hey, no need to shout at me.
    You never stated any actual reason for being against it - just 'i don't want to' which doesn't tell me why you are so against it.

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Thats it as well. He is 4 (will be 5 then) full time school. I just dont think he needs this yet. I dont want to get them into sports so early in life, I want them to enjoy life but not be swamped with after school activities. I know people like this and they are always stressed out because all their kids are doing one thing or another. I want my weekends free so we can all go out as a family, camping, fishing, the markets whatever. I dont want to do this so early on.

    Im glad though everyone thinks Im selfish now after that comment in the other thread. Really I do. You have one bad day, say one bad thing and everyone gangs up on ya
    Oh no, I haven't seen the other thread!
    But yes a sport schedule is stressful IMO. If you want another year without it I say go for it! However if it's about denying one sport to choose another then I don't quite get your point IYKWIM.
    Oh and as for your other comment up there ^^ about your ex liking AFL hence the Auskick... my ex is an NRL fanatic hence the rugby league for DS2, kinda frustrating IMO, so I feel your pain there also!

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,581
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    733
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default What to do in this case???

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Like I said, BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO TAKE HIM. I dont see why i should be the one taking him to do something his dad wants him to do.

    Besides, if he is to do something I would rather something with a bit more.... reason. Football you get : fitness and social/team work
    Martial arts you get : fitness, social, disapline, self defence...

    Im sure there are more. But my point is, like I said, why should i have to take him to something his dad wants him to do if I dont want him doing it? If he wants him to do it, do it on his own time.
    100% agree, if dad wants him to give it a go then that's fine if DAD takes him. It's not like dad will get to even watch him, a lot of other kids will prob be there with their dads?

    Maybe his dad can find something he can take him to do when he's able to take him?


 

Similar Threads

  1. First AND last case of ... NITS :(
    By shinebrite in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-04-2012, 22:38
  2. How do I unlock a brand new DVD case?
    By Mod-Uniquey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 21:07
  3. In case you wondered...
    By Mrs Molly Coddle in forum Weightloss & Fitness Challenges
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-12-2011, 20:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!